Help purchasing P610

bsteve

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My current Nikon camera (P90) is about 6 years old--and though it works great and gets me great photos, I'm looking at possibly upgrading...
The P90 is a "bridge camera" (not an SLR--no changeable lenses--just a single attached lens) with a 24x lens...it lacks certain features found in newer models-like a WiFi connection...Otherwise, I love the camera--very compact and lightweight...has a viewfinder plus a tilting 3" screen...and lots of other features...(I used to schlepp around an SLR and several lenses everywhere...but, for traveling, I find these easier--smaller, less moving parts)

One of the current updated similar Nikon offerings is the P610--with a 60x lens plus WiFi and other improvements and new features...

So, I was looking to buy one...

If I go bricks and mortar, Best Buy sells it for $429.99...plus, of course, CA Sales tax...

So, I go to the internet...
Amazon.com shows it for $426.95--no great bargain over just walking into Best Buy...
BUT, they also show the same exact camera bundled into various deals--adding in all sorts of extras--like extra batteries, chargers, SD cards, tripods and cases--with prices LOWER than the camera alone...
One of the better deals on Amazon, for example, has the P610 bundled like this:
The Nikon Coolpix P610 Digital Camera Includes the following in the box:
EN-EL23 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery (3.8V, 1850mAh), EH-71P Charging AC Adapter, AN-CP21 Strap, LC-CP29 Lens Cap, UC-E21 USB Type-A Male to Type-B Micro Male Cable (Black)

Bonus Bundle Items Include:
1- Nikon CoolPix P610 Digital Camera (Red) - Brand New
2- EN-EL23 Li-on Replacement Rechargeable Battery (Not Original Nikon)
1-Rapid Travel Charger with Car Charger Attachment
1- 16GB SDHC Class 10 SD High Speed Memory Card
1- 32GB SDHC Class 10 SD High Speed Memory Card
1- Digital Camera Carrying Case
1- 6 Foot High Performance Mini HDMI Cable
1- USB SDHC Card Reader
1- Memory Card Wallet
1- LCD Screen Protectors
1- Lens Care Cleaning Kit
1- Mini Table Top Tripod

...for a mere $379.99! So, they pay YOU $50 in order to take all that extra stuff off their hands?

So, then I look at sources other than Amazon and do a google search...and find several of those New York based camera stores selling the base camera for prices as low as $305 (with no sale tax or shipping charge)...There is one under $300--but they note that the camera is an "import model"--which, as I understand it, means you may not be getting a Nikon warranty with it or other quirks...But, ads at $305 (Gadget Circuit), $309 (Tristate Camera) and $329 (42nd St Photo) don't say anything about being "import" or "reconditioned" or anything of the sort...

Now, I also know that I can skip all of those freebies and just buy a Sony 32 GB Class 10 SD card for $15 and a Vivatar Charger with 2 spare batteries and cleaning kit for $23...So, basically, for $343 total, I can buy everything I need...

Am I missing something? Or is this the way I should go? Or, is there something too good to be believed with those cheap camera prices?

One other part of the equation here: I am not necessarily in a hurry to get it...My next BIG use for it is my Iberia cruise in July, though it might be nice to also have it for my Western Caribbean cruise in late March. The P610 was first released March 2015. Will Nikon, therefore, also come out with a newer version in March 2016? Or, if any newer version is not any big deal, will the prices on this one drop sharply around then?

Any comments or guidance is appreciated. Thanks...

Looks like a pretty big camera for such a small sensor

using tapatalk.

Looks like a pretty big camera for such a small sensor

using tapatalk.

Remember that this is not an SLR but, rather an extreme zoom bridge camera...
I think it has something to do with needing a small sensor to properly coordinate with the extreme zoom.
This one has a 24-1440 mm lens...

Pretty much EVERY extreme zoom bridge camera has an identically sized 1/2.3 sensor...

My current Nikon P90 has a slightly SMALLER 1/2.33 sensor...

Highest Optical Zoom Cameras under $500

Most reactions

New Topics

Back