Help RAW file issue

Photomom85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am having issues with my RAW files being damaged when I pull them up in CS6, not all but some. I ordered a new card for it to see if that will fix the issue. Could it possibly be anything else?? Oh and sometimes it does it to my jpegs as well. Thanks in advance :D

Yes, it could certainly be several other things. It could be whatever you are using to read them (camera or card reader), it could be the cable between the two, it could be the disk drive you are copying them onto starting to throw errors. It could also be that CS6 has gotten corrupted or otherwise has a problem.

Replacing the memory card is a logical place to start, but it certainly isn't the only possible point of failure.

If you use a card reader, use the camera and cable that came with it to download the pictures. I use to have the same issue, and that is what fixed it for me. As posted above, it could be any number of things, but if you are using a card reader now...this is the cheapest place to start.

I am using a cable but it is not the original that came with my canon. My 4 year old has "sticky fingers lol" and lost my original so my husband purchased an off brand one at best buy. Maybe I'll look into getting the actual canon brand cable :) Thanks!!

I am using a cable but it is not the original that came with my canon. My 4 year old has "sticky fingers lol" and lost my original so my husband purchased an off brand one at best buy. Maybe I'll look into getting the actual canon brand cable :) Thanks!!

The fact that it's a Canon or off-brand shouldn't matter. It could still be bad, but the brand shouldn't matter. They are all wired per the USB standard so as long as the conductors are good it should be fine. I have several here and to be honest I don't know if the one I normally use is a Nikon USB cable or not, nor do I care as long as it works.

Thanks Everyone. I actually just remembered I have an extra card I completely forgot about. I will try the card and if that doesn't fix it I'll try a new cable. If that doesn't work then it looking like my husband has some computer work to do;)

SO HAPPY!!! I didn't realize my tablet cable was the same as the one for my Canon. I plugged it in and imported the images from my camera again and there were NO damaged Raw or Jpeg file!! You guys rock. Thanks again for the suggestions!!!

SO HAPPY!!! I didn't realize my tablet cable was the same as the one for my Canon. I plugged it in and imported the images from my camera again and there were NO damaged Raw or Jpeg file!! You guys rock. Thanks again for the suggestions!!!
Good. Easy fix. Now mark that other cable or throw it away or something so you don't forget and use it again.

I learned something many years ago when I first got interested in electronics that I've never forgotten: The most common point of failure in any circuit is at a point of mechanical connection. Cables or wires that flex, sockets or connectors, switches, and so forth are by far the most common point of failure and the first place to start troubleshooting. It's just a rule of thumb but over the years it's never let me down.

That makes perfect sense that now I think about it. Just like with digital cable for your tv, if it gets bent to much or stepped on etc, the components inside start to break and such.

Most reactions

Back