Help Re Question on ZOOM and Focal length

DanielleDanielle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi

To all the experienced viewers, sorry to ask a basic question that I cant answer.

I am also not sure if there is an error. But here is the statement regarding the camera.

It states:

It has camera with a 16x optical zoom lens capable of a maximum 1500mm focal length. Is this possible? This is not a fixed telephoto lens, but one that you can adjust.

Then on another site the following is stated:

16x optical zoom that gives you the equivalent of a 10-1500mm lens.
Focal Length 6.7-134.5mm - Zoom Ratio 18x optical zoom - Zoom Speed about 2.0s - Horizontal View 59.8°-3.0°(Wide Angle-Telescopic) - Close-shot Distance 10mm-1500mm (Wide Angle-Telescopic) Day/Night Mode ICR

May I ask, does this mean it can actually zoom to 15oo mm on this zoom tool I found which gives an image showing us what the zoom capacity will do to the image. Here is the link :

Nikon | Imaging Products | NIKKOR Lens Simulator

Can this camera zoom to 1500mm on this zoom tool or does it zoom to 134? I just have so much difficulty understanding this concept of 16 or 18 x optical zoom in terms of what the camera can do to the image, hence I used the zoom tool, but find it hard to believe it can zoom to 1500mm. Am I correct?

Thank you and sorry for the long question.

Hi

To all the experienced viewers, sorry to ask a basic question that I cant answer.

I am also not sure if there is an error. But here is the statement regarding the camera.

It states:

It has camera with a 16x optical zoom lens capable of a maximum 1500mm focal length. Is this possible? This is not a fixed telephoto lens, but one that you can adjust.

Focal Length 6.7-134.5mm - Zoom Ratio 18x optical zoom - Zoom Speed about 2.0s - Horizontal View 59.8°-3.0°(Wide Angle-Telescopic) - Close-shot Distance 10mm-1500mm (Wide Angle-Telescopic) Day/Night Mode ICR

May I ask, does this mean it can actually zoom to 15oo mm on this zoom tool I found which gives an image showing us what the zoom capacity will do to the image. Here is the link :

Can this camera zoom to 1500mm on this zoom tool or does it zoom to 134? I just have so much difficulty understanding this concept of 16 or 18 x optical zoom in terms of what the camera can do to the image, hence I used the zoom tool, but find it hard to believe it can zoom to 1500mm. Am I correct?

The lens focal length range is 6.7mm to 134.5mm. That is a 20X zoom range. You noted both 16X and 18X. Neither are correct for the zoom range you specified. No the lens can not zoom to 1500mm. It can zoom to 134.5mm. The 1500mm figure they're supplying is an equivalency figure. What they're saying is that if you had a camera with a larger sensor (equal in size to 35mm film) then an equivalent lens on that camera would zoom to 1500mm. When digital cameras first appeared on the market with a range of different size sensors the manfacturers came up with this "equivalence" scheme so that people would have a standard for comparison. It does more harm than good.

Joe

Hi

It states:

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Which camera are you looking at? Searching the 6.7-134.5mm on google, I came up with a quadcopter which is insane. I have been flying with 90mm (equivalent) and that is already pretty extreme. Which equivalent is right for your camera depends on the sensor size. So unless we know which camera or at least sensor it is, we can´t really tell you.
BTW: if you devide the 134.5mm by 6.7mm you get a result of 20. this would suggest that this is a 20x zoom rather than 15 or 18 - rather confusing ;).

Just a note: don´t expect wonders from such a megazoom. I´d expect the image quality to be rather bad.

How about a link to this Unicorn lens?

Last edited:
How about a link to this Unicorn lens?
You might need some of this.
fairy-dust.gif

Here's the ad for the 4000 dollar quadcopter with the camera referenced --
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Walkera Voyager 4 Drone Quadcopter RTF4 (F8W radio,battery, 4K 18x optical zoom camera,charger, aluminum case & 4G transmission) - Includes Aluminum Carry Case

Sale: $3,699.00 & FREE Shipping

Most reactions

Back