Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

badfrog88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for some help in choosing my new camera. I'm on a tight budget of about $500 USD. I might be able to go $600, but no more and I would prefer to keep it at the lower end.

In doing my online research, I think I have narrowed my choices down to three:

1. Canon G11
2. Canon SX
3. Nikon D3000

My old film camera was a Canon F-1 (1970s) so I don't think my lenses will work. I've been able to handle the SX and D3000 at my local BestBuy. I actually liked the feel of the D3000 lens better that the SX. The Canon lens felt "toyish". On the other hand, I *think* I would like the live view feature of the Canon SX.

I have not had the opportunity to handle a G11, so I'm not sure how it would feel in my hands.

As I said in my introduction post, most of my photography consists of family and vacation photos but I would like to give macro a try.

I'm not opposed to considering a refurbished higher end model as long as it stays within my budget.

Thanks,

Kent

Do you want a point and shoot or do you want something that you can change lens?

The 3 cameras you have listed as so different, it is better to state what goals you want to achieve with the camera.

Part of the problem is right now, I'm not really sure what my goals are. I'm not planning on making this a profession, strictly hobby. I've had a SLR in the past, but I'm wondering if I should get a higher end P&S (G11) and then save for a DSLR that is a little above entry level if I decide I need one.

You said they were "all" so different. How so? I thought the two DSLRs were pretty similar. Maybe I've missed something?

Video is not an important feature. I have a camcorder and am sort of a purest I guess.

The G11 isn't a dSLR.

In the Nikon line to get above entry-level cameras you would need to save for the D300s:

D300S from Nikon

I know the G11 isn't a dSLR. It is, however a much better camera than my wife and I currently share. It would also allow me to start taking photos and working on my technique until I could afford a higher end dSLR.

I had a G9 for a couple of years before I saved up for a 7D. I wish I would've purchased a decent DSLR and started buying lenses so I could've spread out the cost of them. That said, the G9 was (is, my girlfriend uses it now) a great camera and I took some fantastic photos with it.

Your plan worked for me, but you're just delaying the major costs.

The G11 isn't a dSLR.

In the Nikon line to get above entry-level cameras you would need to save for the D300s:

D300S from Nikon

I know the G11 isn't a dSLR. It is, however a much better camera than my wife and I currently share. It would also allow me to start taking photos and working on my technique until I could afford a higher end dSLR.
You stated: "...I thought the two DSLRs were pretty similar. Maybe I've missed something?"

and I got it wrong because I didn't know the SX was a dSLR.

OP may mean Canon EOS XS (DSLR) instead of Canon PowerShot SX (P&S).

I recently bought the G11 for my wife. The G11 is really nice and it can focus pretty close. I choose the G11 because my wife want something smaller than DSLR and she do not want to change lens.

Beside the 2 DSLR you mentioned, you may also take a look at those mirror less interchangeable lens camera such as this (Olympus E-PL1 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review) (around $525 from Amazon)

if you pick a DSLR you're buying yourself into a system and its not a simple 'is it worth it?' purchase that a P&S choice may be.

the DSLRs do give you a lot of headroom to learn and explore further your photographic skills and you're not limited to the mounted lens found in a P&S.

so take that into account as well....im sure you have...

in terms of the options available to you, if you can add just a few more pennies, consider getting the D5000 otherwise the D3000 is a great starter.

am I having a serious case of deja vu or if this has already been asked before?

If you are comfortable breaking out a large camera in public places and don't mind the extra weight, go for the D3000. If you want good quality, but can't imagining yourself breaking out the DSLR at the middle of the street or a mall, then the G11.

I wouldn't think about the SX.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond so far.

Having thought about this some more, I may have just made my poll moot, but I think I'll go the dSLR route. I have also re-evaluated my budget and I could probably extend it to $1000 USD. That would be the very upper limit.

I've been a Canon fan for a long time, but I'm willing to get something different. I just do not like the feel of the Canon "kit" lens. So at this point I'm not considering any Canon Camera with that lens. I'm very willing to explore a camera body + lens that is not the Canon "kit". Maybe even a prime lens to start. I did like the feel of both the Nikon D3000 and D5000 kit lens.

My main interests are, as of now:

family/vacation photos
learning macro photography

Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond so far.

Having thought about this some more, I may have just made my poll moot, but I think I'll go the dSLR route. I have also re-evaluated my budget and I could probably extend it to $1000 USD. That would be the very upper limit.

I've been a Canon fan for a long time, but I'm willing to get something different. I just do not like the feel of the Canon "kit" lens. So at this point I'm not considering any Canon Camera with that lens. I'm very willing to explore a camera body + lens that is not the Canon "kit". Maybe even a prime lens to start. I did like the feel of both the Nikon D3000 and D5000 kit lens.

My main interests are, as of now:

family/vacation photos
learning macro photography

The T2i is actually a very good camera and fits in your budget. Why do you like the feel of the D5000 kit lens over Canon's 18-55mm IS kit lens? Kenrockwell.com (OH no, not again with kenny.) says that the Nikon's 18-55mm VR is superior to the Canon. However, most of Ken's stuff is pretty controversial, so I need some confirmation from KmH on this :).

see Canon 18-55mm IS

If you are starting out with a prime, I think the price of T2i body only + 50mm 1.4 and D90 body only + 50mm 1.4 is very close.

...Why do you like the feel of the D5000 kit lens over Canon's 18-55mm IS kit lens?..

The Canon lens felt more "toyish" to me. I have hand a Canon F-1 film camera in the past. The kit lens really felt plastic. When turning the zoom ring and the focus ring when set to manual focus both felt somewhat "gritty".

On the other hand the Lens on the Nikons felt more like my old Lens'. Smooth rotation of the zoom ring and less gritty on the focus.

I'll take a look at the T2i and the D90, thank you.

if you can get the D5000 over the D3000, then go for it.

i cant vouch for Canon as i shoot Nikon, have handed a D60, D90 and own a D200. but i do have a friend who owns a 7D (owned a 30D), great cam feature wise but i never quite liked the feel of the Canon body on either.

i also considered the Nikon system due to the consistent F-mount.

there are many things you should consider when picking which of the two systems to invest into but consider searching through old forum threads while keeping an eye on this one in case anyone else has more input...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back