...Why do you like the feel of the D5000 kit lens over Canon's 18-55mm IS kit lens?..
The Canon lens felt more "toyish" to me. I have hand a Canon F-1 film camera in the past. The kit lens really felt plastic. When turning the zoom ring and the focus ring when set to manual focus both felt somewhat "gritty".
On the other hand the Lens on the Nikons felt more like my old Lens'. Smooth rotation of the zoom ring and less gritty on the focus.
I'll take a look at the T2i and the D90, thank you.
Between the T2i and D90, I'd take the D90. But I'm biased since I already went through this decision and ended up with the D90
Some of my reasons for going with the D90:
- More dedicated buttons for quickly adjusting frequently used settings
- 2nd LCD on top
- Better viewfinder
- Feels more substantial and ergonomic (will depend on the size of your hands)
- Built-in support for wireless flash control
- Better low-light performance
- More focus points
- Faster continuous shooting
- Better focus tracking
- Longer battery life
- In-camera chromatic aberration correction
All of that meant that I wouldn't outgrow the D90 anytime soon and could continue to expand my photographic horizons with it for a quite a while.
The T2i has it's advantages -- vastly better video capabilities, lighter, phase-detect AF in Live View, better software included etc. but none of those were particularly important to me.
I also had issues with Canon's entry- and mid-level lenses that I was interested in. Canon's 50mm f/1.8 prime has a plastic mount, something that I plan to avoid. Nikon's has a metal mount (although it does cost a little bit more). Nikon also has a better lens in the 16-85mm range than Canon -- that range is my idea of a perfect walk-around lens. Canon's entry-level stabilized telephoto zoom (70-300mm f/4-5.6ish range) also has a bunch of usability quirks that I didn't like (rotating front element, no manual adjustments in auto mode, zoom creep).
Anyway, that was my reasoning... Standard caveat applies -- what I said may or may not matter to you depending on what your priorities are
