Help! Sisters wedding this weekend

We tried to amateur 100 bucks thing, both backed out last minute. Guess you get what you pay for, lol.

The advice is for me still, as I'm going to be taking the night shots.

Chito, whenever I buy something, especially this expensive, I always prepare myself to lose it or break it. Can't get too caught up in the material stuff, especially with my clumsiness/forgetfulness.

Really appreciating all the moral support.

/end sarcasm

You're right though, haven't mastered basic photography. But it is what it is, not much I can do about it now. For those that given helpful, insightful, non judgemental advice, thank you so so soooo much!

Last edited:
I have been on this forum for 8 months, people still giving me **** for doing weddings. It is this weekend. You can still find somebody to shoot.

/end sarcasm

You're right though, haven't mastered basic photography. But it is what it is, not much I can do about it now. For those that given helpful, insightful, non judgemental advice, thank you so so soooo much!

take the day off work tomorrow and take someone out and shoot the scenes as I said before. find your spots where lighting is easy to work with and do what you can there. pray for devine intervention and have fun! may the force be with you!

/end sarcasm

Non judgemental..........

You are going to your sister's biggest day to take photos with a camera you are making excuses for not knowing how to use, and you are asking us to be non judgemental...you need to wake up to the reality of life.

First lesson:
Learn when to say no

It's her second biggest day, they had their civil wedding, this is just the church version. I'm not making excuses, working 9 hours a day, with 2 hours of classes, an hour to work out, 2 hours of travel, 6 hours of sleep, an hour to study, and you're left with 3 hours to shower, learn about your hobby, and eat, with a couple of misc things thrown in.

And you can't say no to your big sister! Come on now, if she asked me to take pictures with a disposable camera I'd do it and with a smile on my face, I'm just trying to make the best out of a ****ty situation. Where's the love people! Think back to when you were new, have some sympathy.

Chico, great advice, I called my boss and she agreed, taking the day off to go do a dry run, hopefully I can get a few good shots :) Thanks!

Woah, 90 views on my flickr, yall aren't kidding around. I guess more people log onto this site than I thought. Well, feedback on those are appreciated too :)

I would say take a friend to the places you are going to shoot and practice on real live subjects in each location and use a notepad to keep your best result settings in and pray for the same conditions during the wedding

I doubt that will do much.. the wedding is this weekend LOL.

Really... go to CL right now and find an amateur. Look at their portfolio. Give $100 and feed him/her.

Seriously, Schwettylens has the best possible advice for a LAST-MINUTE,
economical shooter...

It's her second biggest day, they had their civil wedding, this is just the church version. I'm not making excuses, working 9 hours a day, with 2 hours of classes, an hour to work out, 2 hours of travel, 6 hours of sleep, an hour to study, and you're left with 3 hours to shower, learn about your hobby, and eat, with a couple of misc things thrown in.

And you can't say no to your big sister! Come on now, if she asked me to take pictures with a disposable camera I'd do it and with a smile on my face, I'm just trying to make the best out of a ****ty situation. Where's the love people! Think back to when you were new, have some sympathy.

Chito, great advice, I called my boss and she agreed, taking the day off to go do a dry run, hopefully I can get a few good shots :) Thanks!

We just all know how hard it can be to do a wedding well. Use the fast that everyone knows you and try to be involved and share the experience as you see it. good luck!

Set your spots to take group shots etc. outdoors in the shade if possible or hope for a cloudy day.

dont forget the cake and wedding rings and all those little detail shots, those are the easiest to get right

Well all I can say is seriously spend more money to hired a pro. If all fail, I know everybody hates this but take the whole wedding in auto mode. At least it won't be as bad and all the pictures you can fix in PP. Sorry to say but that's the only way.

Yikes! What a bad predicament. I hope you find someone to shoot for you.

Listen to schwetty. He knows what he's talking about. It's hard not to be non-judgmental in these cases, but you're definitely not prepared. Take that day off your boss granted you and find someone on craigslist to shoot the wedding for you. Chances are they'll have a full-frame camera and the lenses to work with it, as well. (Another disadvantage, but it DOES make a difference in the pictures. Learn it now or learn later.)

haven't mastered basic photography.

Yeah, go read a 100+ page book before the wedding :er: How bout you take the book and carry it with you during the wedding and flip through the book between your shots? "Hmm, so lets see, where's the chapter for how to get the right shutter speed here??"
Sorry, reading "understanding exposure" isn't going to help you much here.
Where you live? Maybe someone from this forum will come help you out....

Seirously though, S Lens has the best advice here. I'm guessing it's a budget wedding and half the things are being prepared last min?

Get on Craigslist. Some amateur is out there praying for a chance to do a wedding. Pay them a couple hundred bucks to come out for 2 hours.

Also, when you're walking around the wedding and you see friends/family members with point and shoot digital cameras, go up and talk to them. Tell them that there was no budget for a photog (or make up a lie and say the photog backed out). Politely ask them to shoot alot and send you the files. You'll have a lot more bases covered.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Haven't had one of these threads in a while!

Get the book "understanding exposure".

Try a diffuser on your pop up flash, and learn hot to adjust it's power.

The 50mm wouldn't be a bad idea.

Be sure to post pictures when you are done!

Just bought this book yesterday. Learned a lot in just reading the first 2 pages! So happy I bought it instead of *thinking* I can figure it out on my own =D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back