Help! Sisters wedding this weekend

SL's idea of getting a photograph is probably the safest thing, but if you want to go by yourself, I think that to get somewhat decent indoor shots, you should get a flash rather than a lens. If you have little knowledge, the last thing you need it to start getting excited ant try to get pro gear in 48 hours. Take a deep breath, read this get an external flash.
My guess is it will be faster for you to understand the very very fundamentals of flash bouncing than try to get a brand new fast lens to be efficient. Can't buy the flash? Rent it, borrow it... but don't use the pop-up one! or get a diffuser at least! An external flash makes a world of difference. I think it's your best chance to improve your indoor photography. For the rest, I would go with both Chito's suggestion recce the ceremony and reception location and most importantly pray... pray hard!:(

Best of luck... it might have a lot to play into in your situation...

At the very least, go rent equipment! A good Canon flash and a Canon 70-200 IS 2.8L lens. Maybe $120 for the weekend. Those items will at least give you a fighting chance!

Anyway
Good Luck

At this point, leave it in Auto - you don't have time to learn how to shoot better than the camera's built-in intelligence at this point.

Man I hope I spelled "intelligence" right, wouldn't that be the sh*t?

Anyway, see if you can find some how-to's for a pop up flash diffuser or go buy a cheap flash for your Canon that you can bounce with.

Is there no "Uncle Phil" in the family????

Is there no "Uncle Phil" in the family????

She is uncle Phil..........no matter what we all say we wish her well and luck!

zOMG chito beach...you're absolutely right...she...is...the...Uncle...Phil!!

Titanic was a good movie...this reminds me of that movie....maiden voyage and all...pretty girl...handsome gentlemen...iceberg...taking on water....doom...

Titanic was a good movie...this reminds me of that movie....maiden voyage and all...pretty girl...handsome gentlemen...iceberg...taking on water....doom...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that **** is funny!

The advice is for me still, as I'm going to be taking the night shots.

You want to shoot night shots? Oh boy. Unless you know what you are doing (and I hope you own a tripod), you're going to end up with nothing but a bunch of blurriness.

pics I've already taken
i guess I don't know how to upload pics so here's my flickr

www.flickr.com/christysb

Looking at the Flickr account you linked, you haven't the slightest clue about settings on a camera.

The one of the dog is awful in so many ways... blurry, grainy, and out of focus.

The one of the dog with the glowing green eyes is blurry, grainy, and the dog's green eyes are boaring a hole into my soul.

And the picture of the wedding cake has horrible lighting, bad angle, grainy, out of focus, and truly just awful.

If you have NO equipment for setting up indoor lighting, or knowledge of how to use the meter on your flash or how to bounce it, all the photo's will come out looking as bad as that one.

Seriously, post an ad on Craigslist begging for a photographer that at least knows camera settings and has some basic equipment, and tell them you'll give them $100 - $150 for them to take some decent shots.

If your sister has seen your photos & is ok with you doing the pictures than more power to ya! :) You'll do fine just practice and read as much as you can practice in low light and get the feel of it...like I said if your sister is happy then that's all what matters!! Good luck! Post pics when your done for further help! :)

This is a tough thread to read. Really.

Brother of the Bride, I am sure your sister knows you love her and will do the best you can for her because you love her.

Enjoy the wedding and take all the photos you can, she will be very happy I imagine to have so many to look through with pleasure as she recalls the wonderful moments in her life that you captured. :hugs:

This is a tough thread to read. Really.

Brother of the Bride, I am sure your sister knows you love her and will do the best you can for her because you love her.

Enjoy the wedding and take all the photos you can, she will be very happy I imagine to have so many to look through with pleasure as she recalls the wonderful moments in her life that you captured. :hugs:

Right on! take tons of pics. i know some wedding togs that will take several thousand images to get those perfect shots

The one of the dog with the glowing green eyes is blurry, grainy, and the dog's green eyes are boaring a hole into my soul.
The dog with the frickin laser eyes is amazing.

I'm brand spanking new to this and I'm trying to learn as much as I can and not be in auto mode all the time, or if I am see what works in auto and then go to manual and use that as a basis and adjust.

Anywaysssss.... My sister is getting married this weekend, and I can't seem to figure out how to take good indoor or low light shots on the T2i. I have the regular 18-55 and 50-250 IS lens. I was thinking of getting the $100 50mm lens that's on amazon. Is there anything suggestions out there?

My main issue is the flash is just too bright for people, so I try to use the no flash setting, but the shutter speed is ridiculously slow. Don't get me wrong, I've read up and I understand that there's a give and take with aperture vs iso vs etc etc, but shooting kids indoors always gives me those ghost shots of eyes half closed half open.

ANY and all suggestions is appreciated. Thank you!

Very very simple and standard solution. Bounce flash. The the shorter the ceiling the more up goes the flash. The taller the ceiling the more toward the people you tilt the "bounce"

Oh. ps. to the original poster asking for help and getting the attack dog routine. Don't ya just love all the arrogant dips that parade around as if they were born great photographers and they were never "brand spanking new to this". The truth is they did not start out as great photogs and they likely still suck. That would explain the lack of simple helps like bounce flash suggestions and rather the attack mode. It is very common on forums. ROFLMHO!

Last edited:
I'm brand spanking new to this and I'm trying to learn as much as I can and not be in auto mode all the time, or if I am see what works in auto and then go to manual and use that as a basis and adjust.

Anywaysssss.... My sister is getting married this weekend, and I can't seem to figure out how to take good indoor or low light shots on the T2i. I have the regular 18-55 and 50-250 IS lens. I was thinking of getting the $100 50mm lens that's on amazon. Is there anything suggestions out there?

My main issue is the flash is just too bright for people, so I try to use the no flash setting, but the shutter speed is ridiculously slow. Don't get me wrong, I've read up and I understand that there's a give and take with aperture vs iso vs etc etc, but shooting kids indoors always gives me those ghost shots of eyes half closed half open.

ANY and all suggestions is appreciated. Thank you!

Very very simple and standard solution. Bounce flash. The the shorter the ceiling the more up goes the flash. The taller the ceiling the more toward the people you tilt the "bounce"

Oh. ps. to the original poster asking for help and getting the attack dog routine. Don't ya just love all the arrogant dips that parade around as if they were born great photographers and they were never "brand spanking new to this". The truth is they did not start out as great photogs and they likely still suck. That would explain the lack of simple helps like bounce flash suggestions and rather the attack mode. It is very common on forums. ROFLMHO!

Sobo>Everyone.

Sister has no professional photog, I'm actually in the wedding so I'm having someone else use it for church pictures.

Sobolik, did you read this part? She is asking for help 1-2 days before the event. She is in the wedding party. The worse advice you can do is buttering her up thinking she can do it and everything is going to be OK. Really, if it was my wedding, I would want people in the wedding party to be on the pictures at the reception and staged photos as well. Who is going to take the staged photo? She wont be on the staged photos? So you are going to give all these advices and a lot of the photos she wont even be handling the camera.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back