Help!!! Trying not to panic

jshelto3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just asked to do some photographs for a sports banquet tonight at 5:30. I have explained to them that I am not a professional and they told me that they feel I will be fine for the job.

I would like any advice at all about lighting. It will be inside of a gym with flourscent lighting. I have a Nikon D100 with a 28-100mm F/3.5-5.6 and a 50mm F/1.8. I do not have an external flash to use. I only have the small flash on top of the camera. I have spare batteries and CF cards. The lighting and the settings are what I am most concerned with. I will be going early to take some practice photos to and to double check everything. I also shoot in Jpeg. I have no experience it RAW. Thanks ahead for any advice.

I would stick with the 50mm F1.8. The lighting in gyms is typically poor, so you will probably need the wider apertures.

One concern will be the color temp of the lighting. For this reason, I would suggest shooting in RAW, so that you can easily change the White Balance afterward. If you want, you could shoot both RAW+JPEG...but it's worth it to learn about RAW anyway.

What I would do, would be to get an accessory flash and use it to overpower the ambient lights, but it might be hard to do that with just your built-in flash...so it might be best to forget about that and just go with the large aperture and turn up the ISO if needed.

I have no experience shooting in RAW. I just don't believe that I have time to take a crash course. As much as I want an external flash, most of my work has been outdoors so I don't have one. Thank you for the advice though. I should be able to close enough to the subjects to use the prime lens. I will happily take anymore advice you ya'll have any.

"shooting in RAW" is same as shooting jpeg or jpeg+RAW

Only difference is the way your shot is saved on your card.

I have next to no idea what to do with RAW files, but I shoot with jpeg+RAW ... in case I suddenly learn how to "tune-up" RAW.

You should shoot jpeg+RAW and try to fix those WB issues if you need to. Otherwise use your jpeg. I've spent a number of hours trying to figure out workflow for RAW without good results. Not sure you will want to spend time trying to figure out RAW with clients waiting for their pictures.

Do you have to give them to pictures right away? If you don't, then I would shot RAW and learn how to process them later at home. RAW is no different while you are shoting except that you fill up your cards faster. JPEG is OK for most things, but no matter what people tell you (and yes MAV we know that you can change white balance in JPEG), RAW will make it easier to change it later on. I have rarely liked what the white balance looked like in a gym even after bringing a white card and shooting it for a custom white balance.

I would just call them up and say no thanks.

That's if you're really not comfortable with it. Having some one pressure you into a situation because they "think you'll do fine" when you don't have the experience is teh suxxorz

definitely shoot in RAW if you want to edit

I really do want to do this. I feel that I am capable, I just wanted them to understand that I am not a professional. It should be alot of fun.

Like some others said...shoot RAW anyway.

You can always turn a RAW file into a JPEG when you need to...but you can't get the quality or flexibility of a RAW when all you have is a JPEG. Consider it an extra layer of safety.

Sounds like a good idea. Knowing that I can apply the jpeg settings to the RAW files is comforting. I really think I am going to be ok.

I still recommend shooting jpeg+RAW.

This way RAW is available if you want/need it.

If you want something fast, or can't figure out RAW, or do not have time, etc ... go with jpeg.

I shoot with both formats, just in case I figure out what to do with RAW.

Lastly, RAW looks a bit more pixilated then jpeg, like I shot using high ISO - at least to me using Canon's DPP they do. I'm guessing this is due to RAW being unprocessed - you need to do the processing.

Can't figure out RAW? You're kidding, right?

At it's simplest, if you can save a JPG, you can save a RAW to JPG. If you cannot do that... you really need to re-evaluate your hobby... lol

As far as the OPs quesiton... this belongs in the beginners section. Shooting in low light situations has BASIC answers and needs that are answered there a million times over.

Being a long-time D100 shooter I can only say this:

Contrary to what someone above has been recommending, you can't shoot RAW+jpeg with a D100. The camera doesn't have that feature.

In my experience the D100 is extremely slow processing RAW files. I mean EXCRUCIATINGLY slow!! I'd shoot jpeg and forget about it.

It's a gymnasium the lights are really high up, therefore of little use to you ... except as a nuisance that's going to cast some weird color tone over the entire scene. Use the built in flash, get as close as possible (that flash is pretty much useless beyond about ten feet.)

Shoot at ISO 400.

Good luck. Frankly, if it were me ... I'd turn it down on such short notice.

Can't figure out RAW? You're kidding, right?

At it's simplest, if you can save a JPG, you can save a RAW to JPG. If you cannot do that... you really need to re-evaluate your hobby... lol

Yeah yeah, RAW is easy for you guys who deal with it daily - not for me though. It's twiddle this knob little to right, bump this a little to left, wonder what this button do - ARRGH ... that looks horrible, DELETE. Repeat. :lol:

Speaking for myself ... unless I messed up lighting, I do not want to spend time "fixing" it. Most times I "peek" after I shoot so know I messed up WB and will retake picture :)

Yeah yeah, RAW is easy for you guys who deal with it daily - not for me though. It's twiddle this knob little to right, bump this a little to left, wonder what this button do - ARRGH ... that looks horrible, DELETE. Repeat. :lol:

Speaking for myself ... unless I messed up lighting, I do not want to spend time "fixing" it. Most times I "peek" after I shoot so know I messed up WB and will retake picture :)

If you do NOTHING but save as... you have your JPG. Now if you are totally lost, click AUTO and you have something drastically superior to your JPG. ZERO knowledge is needed!!

WB? You cannot easily fix that in JPG... but its ONE slider in RAW, so that is no excuse either.

The only people who cannot save a JPG from a RAW file are people who don't want to. ;)

Most reactions

Back