Help - visabledust left a film on my sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i had some dust particles i could not remove from my sensor so after reading many reviews i decided to get some of the sensor swabs from visibledust.com. I cleaned my sensor and after i had finished up i decided to use the swab to clean an old pair of glasses i had sitting on the table. Waste not want not. After using the swab on my glasses i noticed a film residue left behind buy the cleaning fluid.

So i know for a fact it left a film on my sensor and im wondering how much of an impact this will have on the effectiveness of the sensor. Im kinda stumped on what to do next since the sensor cleaning product caused this issue what do i clean it with now?

Last edited:
I don't know about the fluid you used, but I swear by Eclipse brand.

Same here. Occasionally I use too much and it will leave some residue behind, but cleaning it again (WITH A NEW SWAB!) will get rid of it.

By the way, sensor cleaning is not a place where "Waste Not Want Not" is a good philosophy. Those swabs are sealed and dust free when new, not after they have been used.

ok thanks. ill swab it again with less fluid and see how that goes, i cant really tell its on there i just figured bc there was a film on my glasses so it was on my sensor too. How would i be able able to tell if there is a film on the sensor or not?

yeah i understand not re swabbing a sensor with the same swab but i think its just fine for an old pair of scratched up glasses.

ok thanks. ill swab it again with less fluid and see how that goes, i cant really tell its on there i just figured bc there was a film on my glasses so it was on my sensor too. How would i be able able to tell if there is a film on the sensor or not?
IF you can't see it in your photographs it's probably not worrying about, but to see the sensor to tell you really need a "Sensor Loupe". I use This Cheap One but trashed everything other than the loupe itself. They all have a built-in light to give you a good view of the sensor assembly so you can see what it is on it.

ok thanks. ill swab it again with less fluid and see how that goes,
How much did you use in the first place. I think the recommendation is one or two drops.

apparently too much. The fluid did not come in a dropper but a vile and the instructions said to dip each corner of the swab into the vile and let it adsorb. I did this very quickly but i guess it was still too much on the swab given the outcome.

I used a new swab with just enough to get it damp and it seems ok now.

WIth my old DSLR if I let the Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly accidentally touch the mirror hinge it would pick up a tiny bit of oil or lubricant and it would transfer onto the sensor. I only made that mistake a couple of times as the hassle of trying to remove even a tiny bit of oil was a nightmare!

Holy archive 😁

Reciprocated🤡

Awe, dish out sarcasm but can't take a humorous reply. Dear, dear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back