Help! WD MY Book tripled photo files

annamaria

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Calling all techie guys and gals,

Have a problem, as I was deleting photo files on My external drive it kept giving me a message that it did not have room to add any more files even though I was deleting files. To top it off I noticed that the same files had tripled on its own. I have tried a few free image duplicate finder and one in particular has taken all day and nite to scan. Does anyone know of a fast image duplicate finder that actually is fast? I prefer a free one, but I'm wondering if perhaps I might have to dole a few dollars for a shareware. Any help is appreciated I'm frustrated!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If this is not your first copy, I'd just reformat the disk and start again BUT there may be a virus on your system so multiple virus scans first.

If this is not your first copy, I'd just reformat the disk and start again BUT there may be a virus on your system so multiple virus scans first.

I scanned my pc but there are no viruses, or are you referring to scanning the external for viruses?

Did you hold down ctrl whilst clicking on photos to remove?
IT can be a neat way to select blocks of photos without picking every single one (like shift and clicking does) but if you so much as drift the mouse one tiny bit whilst holding it down the computer takes ctrl +click+drag to mean create copies and suddenly what was a 5 min thing doubles in time as you get a load of copies of what you were just highlighting and wanting to remove.

Did you hold down ctrl whilst clicking on photos to remove?
IT can be a neat way to select blocks of photos without picking every single one (like shift and clicking does) but if you so much as drift the mouse one tiny bit whilst holding it down the computer takes ctrl +click+drag to mean create copies and suddenly what was a 5 min thing doubles in time as you get a load of copies of what you were just highlighting and wanting to remove.

No I did not do that I'm positive of that. I'm scanning for viruses just in case.

I use Xplorer2 for file management on PC's. It includes a Duplicate File finder tool, but it's not free.

First I would make sure to have a copy of all the files on another drive before doing anything else. Then I would backup that disk, then I would reformat the one that is a mess and start over after testing for viruses.

There is a possibility that there really aren't three copies but only one file and three entries. That means, if you delete blindly you might actually delete the only actual file.

I think you might try this out by opening two instances then, while they are open, trying to delete the third. Do that a few times and be certain you really have three instances of each file,

I use Xplorer2 for file management on PC's. It includes a Duplicate File finder tool, but it's not free.

First I would make sure to have a copy of all the files on another drive before doing anything else. Then I would backup that disk, then I would reformat the one that is a mess and start over after testing for viruses.

I will check into Xplorer2 and see what it costs first [emoji57]

Yes I think I will do what you suggested makes sense for sure. I was in the process of checking for viruses but it was taking so long and I had to leave. Will continue to check it. It's definitely a mess. Thanks

There is a possibility that there really aren't three copies but only one file and three entries. That means, if you delete blindly you might actually delete the only actual file.

I think you might try this out by opening two instances then, while they are open, trying to delete the third. Do that a few times and be certain you really have three instances of each file,

Thanks traveler I will definitely check to see if there are actually triple files. Going to open two windows and check it thoroughly. Thanks for the advice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back