Help: What went wrong with the photo

ehmj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

It's my first time using film to shoot and I'm not sure what went wrong for almost the whole roll of film turning out so grainy. There's only a couple of shots that came out clear in the entire roll, while the rest were grainy(?) like the photo below. The two photos were taken about 5-10 minutes apart.

Used iso 400 film. Just wanted to know if the photo turned out this way because it was overexposed? Thanks!

Macau Shot 1.jpg

Macau Shot 2.jpg

Attachments

• Macau Shot 1.jpg
    Macau Shot 1.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Under-exposed.

Under-exposed.
How do you tell whether it's under-exposed or over-exposed? Grainy photos are usually caused by under-exposed shots? The film negatives for both shots:
film.jpg

Trying to understand so that I don't waste future rolls of film. Thanks!

Last edited:
Very dark negative = too much light exposure.
Very light/thin negative = too little exposure.
That one in the middle is very over-exposed.

Grainy looking prints can come from both under and over exposed when the Print Tech tries to compensate.

Something may have gone wrong with your auto-exposure system, the internal light meter, or you set shutter/aperture incorrectly.

Last edited:
Under-exposed.
How do you tell whether it's under-exposed or over-exposed? Grainy photos are usually caused by under-exposed shots? The film negatives for both shots:View attachment 158378

Trying to understand so that I don't waste future rolls of film. Thanks!

You can’t really without knowing what type of film (you didn’t say negs in the. op) or seeing the original negs. So I guessed. It was one or the other and over exposure usually has to be quite extreme to produce those results while under exposure is quite easy and common.

Most reactions

Back