Help With A Film Simulation

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by smoke665, Mar 8, 2019.

1. D7K

D7K This is the right time.. Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I very rarely use them but sometimes, they can help me (and my eyes) to see things as little better, and sometimes for artistic effect as you mention!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
  3. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Perhaps I don't understand the point of these presets, but to me they appear to lose a lot of fidelity from the original. At least the monochrome conversions that I looked at.

(edit) I think they all do. I checked out some more examples. They definitely lose fidelity.

(second edit) Some are also introducing digital noise as well.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    "FIDELITY" is not the goal...the goal is to create a pleasing picture..."fidelity" is overrated, IMO...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tim Tucker 2

Tim Tucker 2 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Simulate a lower DR than digital, softer shadows and highlights, muted and slightly orange in diffuse light with more colour in brighter daylight, forget the *grain* at this size? I've not really used it so a guess:

cowgirl20190307_0659-Edit copy.jpg

6. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Think of a preset as an express lane to get from point A to point B. You still have to drive the car, you have to have a knowledge of where you are and where you're going, but used properly they can save some time. Overused or used on the wrong image and they look cheesy, and amateurish.

In my case I'm looking for a certain "feel" to an image. Not necessarily the dreamy low contrast images you saw in the presets, but more a case of an ideal skin tone. Porta 400 as I remember had some nice creamy tones especially in the reds and greens. By mapping that I can transfer it's characteristics to my image thereby creating a more pleasing image.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Once again, I have failed to communicate clearly.

Yes, I know why people buy and use presets, but the examples shown in the website did not, in my opinion, make the photographs better.

Just my own personal opinion.

IMHO

8. smoke665

Photos OK to edit
    Interesting I had to look that up to be sure but there is a lower DR, that I need to take into consideration. I agree it seems there is a general consensus that the lower contrast creates softer shadows and highlights.

As to the edit the reds are a little higher then I was shooting for in my tone map. I sort of prefer my last edit, but in looking at it agree with Derrel on the yellow and green. Using some combined suggestion, I switched the LUT layer to Crisp Warm and changed the mode to color as per D7k's suggestion. Which helped to bring up the reds slightly but not overpower the contrast, brought the yellow to more of a warm sun amber. Using your suggestions I dropped the DR back slightly with level and curve adjustments, and limited the green in the highlights tone curve. I think it's getting close, now to try to convert all this to an action for future use.

9. smoke665

Photos OK to edit
    As in all edits, the ideal is to create a pleasing look, without detracting from the original image. To many times IMO people apply presets across the board without realizing that not all images work with all presets, and that editing actually begins before the shutter clicks, knowing the future of the image helps to build the basics from the ground up. Presets should never be used as corrections but rather enhancements to the bones of the image, IMO.

10. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    these are VMCO portra 400 presets:

upload_2019-3-9_20-59-52.png

upload_2019-3-9_20-59-37.png

upload_2019-3-9_21-1-32.png

upload_2019-3-9_21-1-47.png

11. smoke665

Photos OK to edit
    @Braineack I actually have a few of the VMCO preset samples and I looked at their Portra offerings. Personally I believe Portra® Original presets by Mastin Labs offers a better option, though I haven't been willing to turn loose of the hundred dollars to find out.

It's interesting to note that in the HSL panel you posted the hue adjustments are following an "s" curve pattern. Coincidentally I was just reading an article on Lr edits where the author was talking about using an "s" curve to maintain a more even transition between color.

12. bulldurham

bulldurham TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Tim Tucker once suggested doing a simple color cast removal and I applied that to your image with no other color adjustments. You can see by the color in the BG trees, there was a significant red/yellow cast. Perhaps this would be a good starting point.
    Do it in the first iteration of your post work on a higher res file.

smoke 1.jpg