help with ball head purchase?

dantambok

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I might buy the Slik pro 780 DX tripod later.
I`m an amateur but any brand of head can be used with it right?

I was thinking of getting the vanguard sbh-250 or sbh-300. Any thoughts?
thanks
:sexywink:

I've been researching inexpensive tripods and heads myself and I've been looking at the Vanguard SBH 250 myself along with a Smith Victor BH 8. They are both about the same amount of money on line and both have gotten pretty good reviews. I am leaning to the Smith Victor ball head for one reason - it will accept Arca (apparently a high end brand) style quick mounts and specifically I am looking at possibly getting a "L" bracket so that the camera stays on the top of the head when in portrait position. I won't be buying the tripod until after the first of the year, so I have some time to research some more.

As far as tripods - take a look at the Vanguard Alta Pro series and the Manfrotto 055PROB tripods. Don't know how they compare to the Slik you're looking at but they seem to offer a lot and both have gotten good reviews as well.

To hijack this thread a little - I was going to ask this at a later date but ... does it really matter whether the camera stays on top of the head or is off to the side for taking portrait oriented photos?

Interchangable heads are standard. The smaller (meant for 35mm bodies) generally have a 1/4NC screw, and larger ones (for MF bodies) have a 3/8NC screw. Higher-end models will allow you to use either. Slik will accept any head with the standard 1/4NC screw-mount.

I'm not familiar with Vanguard heads, but they look very much like Arca-Swiss (Not a 'good' brand, THE good brand) heads. However, because something looks like something doesn't it mean it has the same quality.

The purpose of an 'L' bracket is to keep the lens axis centered over the pivot-point of the tripod-head, instead of off to one side. This is nice, but whether it's necessary, is up to you.

I have the Slik 700 Pro DX and Manfrotto 488 midi ball head, seems to be a great combo.

That reminds me, I need to order a quick release plate... grrr, always something to buy.

i have the vanguard head your referring to and had another that got stolen several months ago. I was very happy with it, but am replacing it with an arch type as i am now using an L bracket.

Pm me if interested to buy one at a discount as i have one, never been used, however, no longer have the box as i put it on a monopod but when I changed types I had to get something else.

With regard to turning the ball head to vertical, you need to be sure that the head in use will support the camera and the longest lens your using so it stays in position. The L bracket allows one to turn the camera body instead of the tripod head.

In regards to the portrait mount, whether on top of the ballhead or off to the side, I feel it is more stable when on top of the ballhead than on the side...less shaking takes place.

Thanks for the info!

I just learned about the L bracket when I saw the Smith Victor head and researched "Arca quick mounts" and the L bracket popped up. I do like the idea better than having the camera and lens off to the side although the tripods that I mentioned have center columns that can be articulated to various positions, kind of defeating the purpose of the L bracket.

I love my off brand tripod I picked up fro 59. Best money I have ever spent. I compared it to several others at a local photog shop and have to say that it stands up quite well to the competition. :D Good luck with your search.

Don't forget the L bracket is camera specific.

Your tripod may be a great bargin and I did look at it when you originally posted even went onto Ebay to check it out. The only problem I can see is if it doesn't hold up after a year or so.

I love my off brand tripod I picked up fro 59. Best money I have ever spent. I compared it to several others at a local photog shop and have to say that it stands up quite well to the competition. :D Good luck with your search.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back