What's new

Help with buying Rebel T3, beginner!

tmL

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 5, 2011
Messages
81
Reaction score
4
Location
New York
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first post on the forums so hey everyone!

I'm a complete beginner to photography but would really like to pick it up as a hobby. I'm hoping to do a lot of portrait work, shoot in low light settings, and of course a lot of spontaneous shots on the street (I will be traveling to China soon!). I'm pretty set on the Rebel T3 mainly because of its price (why I chose it over the Nikon D3100). Since I'm a beginner I obviously won't be able to take advantage of the extra features of higher level cameras, but is there any real reason for me to spend more on the Nikon entry level DSLR over the Canon, maybe based on the type of photography I'm interested in?

Next, I was planning on ordering from B&H (seems like it is strongly recommended on these forums) and I noticed that they have a 'buy together and save' deal going on now. Is it a good idea to buy the Rebel T3 kit (comes with a 18-55mm IS II Lens) and ADD the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Zoom Lens With Microfiber Cleaning Cloth for $150? I have been trying to get a hold of how to tell what different lenses are good for but so far haven't got it quite figured out. My gut instinct is telling me to just pass on the extra lens but I'm afraid I'll regret it later if I end up having to buy it later for more. What is the 55-200mm good for? Is it something that will retain its value (so I can resell it if I find I don't need it)? Is it worth getting, or is there another lens that's better that does the same thing? Hopefully these questions make sense.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
 
Welcome to the forum.

It's my opinion that most Nikon & Canon cameras are pretty good, and it's pointless to argue one way or the other. The photographer's skill, knowledge and talent will matter a heck of a lot more than which camera they choose. There are, of course, subtle differences which may or may not matter to you.

As for the lenses...what would you (anyone) use the 55-250mm lens for? Well, the difference between that lens and the 18-55mm kit lens, is focal length. 55mm & 250mm are longer focal lengths than 18mm and 55mm. The focal length determines the field of view. In other words, the longer the focal length, the more you 'zoom into' your subject. So the 55-250mm would let you zoom into a subject from farther away (or just get tighter shots from the same distance).

Now, you did mention that you hope to do portrait work and shoot in low light settings etc. To that end, neither of those two lenses is ideal. The reason being that they are 'slow' lenses....they have rather small maximum apertures. (F4 to F5.6). The aperture is denoted by an F number, and the maximum aperture is in the lens's name. Also note that the lower the F number, the bigger the aperture.
So when you see lenses like this, listed as F4 to F5.6, they are not as desirable as lenses that list F2.8...which is a larger maximum aperture. You can find prime (non-zoom) lenses with apertures as large as F1.8, F1.4 & F1.2.

A larger aperture lets in more light, which lets you shoot with a faster shutter speed. That is important when shooting in low light situations and/or when shooting moving subjects. A faster shutter speeds means sharper shots (less blur)...so you can see that having a larger maximum aperture is something that you'd like to have.

Also, a larger aperture gives you a shallower DOF (depth of field). This allows you to blur out the background (or foreground) which is often a nice effect for portraits.

So would I recommend the kit with the 55-250mm lens? Probably not. Instead I'd recommend looking for a lens with a larger maximum aperture. A popular suggestion is a 50mm F1.8 (both Nikon & Canon).
 
Is it something that will retain its value (so I can resell it if I find I don't need it)?

Take a look on e-bay to see what they go for used vs new at B&H or Adorama. My guess would be most ef-s lenses don't hold resale value to the extent of most ef lenses, L or non-L. The 17-55 2.8 would be an exception, but I think most ef-s lenses would be viewed as inferior in both optical and build quality, and they can only be used on crop bodies. The only ef-s lens I've ever looked at on e-bay is the kit 18-55 IS which I picked up for a friend at about a third of what they go for new. There are better zoom lenses in that focal range, both Canon and third party, but I would wait on that until you get yourself a considerable way thru the learning curve. Big Mike's suggestion for the 50 1.8 is sound. It will give you a fast prime of reasonable optical quality for cheap.

Whatever you choose, realize there is a considerable learning curve to shooting with an SLR, and education is your best friend. I would suggest both some free and low cost education.

The free: Google "exposure triangle" and "depth of field".

The low cost (or also free if you have a decent local library): Books. "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson is the most often recommended book for beginners. Some of the info is over-generalized, but it's a great place to start. The "Digital Photography" series by Scott Kelby. Three book series, also a good place to start.
 
Great, thanks for the advice! I think I'll just pick up the regular kit and shoot with that until I better understand the basics oh photography and worry about additional lenses afterwards.
 
Great, thanks for the advice! I think I'll just pick up the regular kit and shoot with that until I better understand the basics oh photography and worry about additional lenses afterwards.
That is a great idea.
 
Another qusetion, sorry. Do you think its a better idea to pick the T3 kit up or look for a higher level camera used with a different (better) lens? Do you think the kit lens is any good at all?
I'm willing to spend up to $700, but I don't know if that little money is going to be able to get me a decent body AND a decent lens (even if they are used). Do you think my T3 will be able to be sold say 2 years from now (I know it's hard telling the future, but based on other cameras)?
 
I'm not as experianced as Big Mike, but for $700 the T3i is your best bet, as far as nikon I'm not sure because I dont know the Nikon cameras. But for selling it, it will sell, the resale value might go down a little though, I wouldn't worry about it.
 
Another qusetion, sorry. Do you think its a better idea to pick the T3 kit up or look for a higher level camera used with a different (better) lens? Do you think the kit lens is any good at all?
I'm willing to spend up to $700, but I don't know if that little money is going to be able to get me a decent body AND a decent lens (even if they are used). Do you think my T3 will be able to be sold say 2 years from now (I know it's hard telling the future, but based on other cameras)?
The biggest difference between something like the T3i and a higher level camera like a 40D, 50D, 60D...is mostly in the size & layout of the body. The XXD cameras are bigger, made of stronger material and have more/better controls on the outside of the camera. The Rebels are smaller, lighter and require more button presses/menu access for controlling the camera. For the most part, the 'guts' of the cameras are pretty similar, within the same release period. So the T3i probably has newer technology than the 40D ...which probably means more mega pixels...and may or may not mean better image quality.

What I'd suggest, is to carefully go over the different feature sets of the cameras you have in mind...and see what you want and what you could live without. For example, I don't think the 40D or 50D can shoot video. The T3i only shoots at 3.7 frame per second, while the XXD cameras are much faster.
I'll also mention the 60D...which is the newest model in the XXD line, although I don't think you'll find one in your price range. The 60D isn't really the successor to the 50D...it take a new position in the line up, right between the T3i and the 7D. So many people do like the 50D better than the 60D...although the 60D does have some cool new features & technology.

So once you have a good idea of what you want most, then you can make a better choice between a new Rebel and a used XXD. If you can, I'd suggest going into a good camera shop. (hey, you're in NY...you could go to B&H or Adorama) and get your hands on the different models. That, more than anything, should show you the difference between the Rebels and the XXD bodies.

As for re-sale value, they do tend to hold their value pretty well. The higher levels probably better than the lower ones. So if you bought something like a used 50D, you might be able to sell it in two years, for 60-80% of what you bought it for. (just a guess).
Top quality lenses are even better. You could buy a $1000 lens, use it for a few years, then sell it for $800 (again, just a guess). But if you buy a $300 lens, chances are it may only be worth $100 is a couple years.
 
I hope OP would not mind, but I am looking into getting my first DSLR of my own and have a tight budget of 600 dollars. What would you guys recommend? I am going to be shooting at low light, sport events, and family gatherings mostly. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
 
$600 won't get you a lens for low light, sport and family gatherings (im guessing wide angle pictures) & a camera, unless you buy used (which will still most likely be a tight fit) you wont be able to fill all of those categories.
 
$600 won't get you a lens for low light, sport and family gatherings (im guessing wide angle pictures) & a camera, unless you buy used (which will still most likely be a tight fit) you wont be able to fill all of those categories.
so what camera would you recommend for the budget? I am thinking about getting flash as well from a friend of mine, who is going to give it to me as a gift ))))
 
I'm not good with cameras myself but, I shoot with a canon rebel t1i and I am quite satisfied with it, but it is out of your budget http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001XURPQS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?. ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER if I were you I'd save up that extra few hundred and get a good lens with the camera instead of the kit lens ($670, still out of your budget and that comes with a lens and the camera & all the accessories you would need) and start from there and see what you need most and buy a lens after you get more money and know what you want. The kit lens is a general lens and it would be ok for low light (you would need a tripod though), family gatherings, but as far as the sports, you may be a little short on the zoom factor (getting close up shots like this http://forums.steves-digicams.com/a.../73401d1155575080-d50-action-shots-mb-10w.jpg) depending on how far away you would be. But, of course you always have the option of checking your local craigslist listings or looking at e-bay (cant help you there because I'm not good with re-sale values).
 
Thank you so much for your suggestions. I think I will follow your advice and save up more money. I just graduated from nursing school and trying to find a job, as soon as that done I will be getting myself a good present from my first pay check ))) If I wait, than I think I will try to save up about 1500 to 2000 dollars to get a good camera and good glass. Thanks again
 
what would you recommend for shooting wedding? It is going to be both indoor and outdoor. THX again
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom