Help With Camera Choices

Connie189

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the forum. :)

One reason I'm here is to get some feedback on my small "collection" of cameras. I'm planning to move early next June (if Covid permits) and need to scale back.

I started out with film cameras, then when digital ones came to market, I purchased an Olympus D380 2.0 megapixel which served me well until it didn't work anymore. I bought another (used) last year from Amazon.

What I have in my "collection" is:

Nikon One Touch (film)
Chinon Pocket Dual-P (film) very basic; does panoramic pics

Panasonic Lumix 5.0 6x optical zoom (digital)
Canon Power Shot ELPH135 20.0 megapixels 8x optical zoom (digital)*
Olympus D380 2.0

*The Canon Power shot is the smallest; it has numerous prompts or windows to go through to take a picture. Like it's always set on automatic. (I've never been able to de-bug it).

In order of usage: The Olympus camera has been the most used, then the Nikon one touch and then Chinon.

I have a low tolerance for incomplete manuals/instructions and having to maneuver previous settings or many windows in order to take a quick picture.

Please advise. :)

Thanks!

Depending on how far you want to scale back, I'd consider keeping two or three of the most used. For me, the Olympus and the Nikon. That would give you one of each format.

Thank you. :)

I thought about keeping both cameras and it feels comfortable to me.

I read that smart phone cameras are okay, but not as good as non-phone cameras.

If you’re going to be running after your kids taking pictures, you probably don’t want a big, bulky DSLR – look at mirrorless cameras like the Panasonic GX1 or even point-and-shoots like the Canon S110. Maybe even make sure you buy the right phone, from the Nokia Lumia 1020 to the iPhone 5. But if you want the best, biggest, most controllable photos money can buy, make sure you buy a camera you can grow into. DSLRs offer more control and more lenses, and they’re capable of capturing a wider range of photos and video.

It’s certainly true that the best camera is the one you have with you. But the best photos come from having the right camera with you — so shop carefully, don’t forget that more money and more megapixels don’t always make great cameras, and always remember your exposure triangle.
very good advice:cheerful::cheerful:
——————————————

Phones: My opinion is the cameras built into smart phones are getting better, every iteration. I use mine a lot for quick snaps like family functions and social media sharing. If you don't want to change exposure settings and do a lot of work in post, a phone might be a goo choice. It comes down to what you plan to do with the final product.

I use my phone lot of time to take quick and sharp pictures and videos.

However, I agree with you if you don't want to change exposure settings and do a lot of work in post. Depending on what you plan to do with the final product.

Most reactions

Back