Help with camera lcd setup suggestions! Bulk Pictures with remote. Need good macro!

spazfishy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking to take many pictures of internal computer parts pictures for work. What I am trying to do is setup a tripod and a remote switch and have the camera connected to an lcd screen. Ideally the remote switch would focus the camera and take the picture and you could use the lcd screen to view the focus. You could take many pictures quickly.

I need a recommendation for a camera that can do all of these things. It's primary duty would be small pieces so I would need good macro.

Not looking for anything fancy besides my requirements. Under $400 would be good.

Please let us know if you have any suggestions.

Thank you

Canon DSLR shipped with a software called Digital Photo Professional (DPP) that allow you to do tether shooting. All you need put the camera on the tripod, connect the camera to a computer (PC or Mac) with a USB cable and run the DPP software.

See this video for more details about DPP

If you want to save some money, you can take a look at the the Canon "Refurbished" Digital SLR from...
Canon Direct Store - Refurbished EOS Digital SLR Cameras

Camera Example:
T3i with lens $395 after discount
Canon Direct Store- EOS Rebel T3i EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens Kit Refurbished

As for macro, it depends on how small the subject is to determine if you need a dedicated macro lens or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Canon DSLR shipped with a software called Digital Photo Professional (DPP) that allow you to do tether shooting. All you need put the camera on the tripod, connect the camera to a computer (PC or Mac) with a USB cable and run the DPP software.

If you want to save some money, you can take a look at the the Canon "Refurbished" Digital SLR from...

Camera Example:

As for macro, it depends on how small the subject is to determine if you need a dedicated macro lens or not.

Thanks for the info. I think it will be most important to take pictures very quickly and the solution provided seems like it may be slow.

Maybe we take the lcd screen out or add one of those additional screens to the camera for larger viewing. If we do something like this we would need to focus on speed. I think the best solution would be a wired remote that will focus and snap the shot with one button press. So we aim the tripod the hit the remote and its done, then on to the next piece.

Would the camera you suggested also be good at this or would you recommend another solution.

Thanks again.

When I took photo with products, I use tether shoot before. However, when I need to take photos for many similar but different objects like this one

5263060879_b499a55249.jpg

Then I do this.

- Setup the shooting environment. Such as white card board as the background. Put a little mark on the card board indicating where to put the subject.
- Setup my lighting equipments
- Set the camera on the tripod.
- Set the camera in manual mode with Aperture set at f/8 to f/11
- Remote shutter cable connects to the camera.
- Manual focus the subject and fire a test shot.
- Adjust the settings if needed.
- Once everything is set to go, all I need is place a subject on the little mark and press the button on remote trigger.
- Replace the subject and press the remote shutter again.

If you use tether shoot, you can review the result right away from your computer (or laptop) with a bigger screen before you swap the subject.

As you can see, once everything is pre-setup, you can go through a lot of items in a short time.

I think the key is subject is about the same size so that I can pre-focus. You camera is setup manual mode, so no need to meter the shot again. No AF and no meter, just replace the subject and click.

As for what camera can do that, I think any of the DSLR can do, even the entry level one.

In the other thread you opened, you said a budget of $400? For camera and everything? That might get you a used older DSLR / lens, or a current point and shoot. The Point and shoots probably won't give the quality you want. Wired remotes are cheap. Any older DSLR would probably do. Probably would want an actual macro lens... although tubes or a diopter might work.

But $400 won't include an external LCD screen... or the software for that if it isn't included with the camera.

But you will have problems if you want autofocus.. doesn't work that great for macro, depending on how much magnification you have, or how close you are to the subject.

You will also need lighting.. constant lighting would be fine for this, but you will find that the weaker lights will require longer shutter speeds, which might negate your requirement for "lot of photos quickly" (which is not the way to get quality anyway)!

Camera Example:

Thanks for the info. I think it will be most important to take pictures very quickly and the solution provided seems like it may be slow.

Maybe we take the lcd screen out or add one of those additional screens to the camera for larger viewing. If we do something like this we would need to focus on speed. I think the best solution would be a wired remote that will focus and snap the shot with one button press. So we aim the tripod the hit the remote and its done, then on to the next piece.

Would the camera you suggested also be good at this or would you recommend another solution.

Thanks again.

You need a bigger budget! lol!

Yeah, I do have sufficient lighting and studio already. Really just looking to get a camera now. The pics don't have to be pro grade or anything. Just decent with a white background and fast. The camera needs to fire quick, and have the remote with decent macro. A point and shoot cam might be fine if I knew of one that has all of these features. Also, I can certainly increase the budget if i have to.

So for this camera? Point me in the right direction?

Thanks for all your help. I will look into the Canon's Doa.

Point and shoot camera will work such as the Canon G series except it will not be fast. For faster operation, I think a DSLR will do or low end DSLR for lower budget reason. I do not believe there are much differences in the end result at all if any to shoot with a $4000 camera vs $400 camera.
It is especially truth if the end result is going to be displayed on the web or in a catalog.

Pre-focus, preset manual settings, off camera lighting (multiple lights shoot with lower power for faster cycle and lesser heat generated) and remote trigger.

As for the lens, it depends on how close you need and the type of result you expect.

Most reactions

Back