What's new

Help with costs for used lens

clockwurk

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 20, 2009
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all :)

I'm fairly new at this and I was looking into buying some lenses for my D200.

I am looking at a 50mm f/1.4 D and I have noticed that the going rate for this used, excellent condition is around 250-275 dollars.

I was wondering if anyone here knows what is the general cost for a used, excellent condition Nikon AF-S 70-200mm VR f/2.8 G ED-IF? I'm assuming it is out for warranty.

Thank you in advance.
 
ive seen them for 1400 but thats a good deal id say.
 
$1400-$1500 max. If you don't already have one, register with ebay and do an advanced search on completed listings. Make sure they've actually "sold" or it doesn't mean anything. Someone else mentioned ebay...not sure if you knew how to dig for it.

You can find an occassional decent buy on Craigslist, but I've found most clowns think their going to get 10% off original purchase price with a ding to boot on Craigs.
 
Hello all :)

I'm fairly new at this and I was looking into buying some lenses for my D200.

I am looking at a 50mm f/1.4 D and I have noticed that the going rate for this used, excellent condition is around 250-275 dollars.

I was wondering if anyone here knows what is the general cost for a used, excellent condition Nikon AF-S 70-200mm VR f/2.8 G ED-IF? I'm assuming it is out for warranty.

Thank you in advance.
Nikon's warranty only applies to the original owner, so any used gear you buy from an individual doesn't have any warranty, even if the warranty card is not filled out. I register Nikon gear online, not by snail mail. Considering Nikon USA lenses come with a 5 year warranty is a consideration for buying new, rather than used.

It's also the reason some Nikon owners have a 5 year lens selling cycle.

Some used gear sold by camera stores comes with a limited, short term, warranty and most factory refurbished gear comes with 90 days of warranty.
 
Wow, thank you all for the response. Its very much appreciated.

MnH, the 5 year selling cycle is interesting. I would have never thought about it. I want this lens but I cannot justify paying 2k for it right now, since I do not shoot professionally.

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback :)
 
With a d200 you have the option of using ai/ais manual focus lenses. You should consider that if cost is a concern. I perfer to focus the 50mm lens manually anyway since the dof is so tiny. If you ever look for a wide angle or macro lens you should definitely consider an ais lens, as autofocus is not that useful for wides or macros.

I have a 50mm f1.2 ai nikkor on ebay right now, ending tomorrow and still sitting below $300.

You can snag a 50mm f1.4 ais lens for $100 or less.

As for the afs 70-200 f2.8, you may consider an AF 80-200 f2.8. I just bought a mint example for only $500--optically it's just as good as the new VR AFS version--you just don't have VR and the focus is a little slower.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom