Help with exposure

jacsul

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, I shot this the other day and the original was darker so I PP to get more detail on her jacket. My question is does the exposure look correct and/or does the image look over processed?
Thanks in advance.
Jack
Original
P2202235-1-1-1.jpg

version #2
P2202235-2.jpg

what did you have your metering set to? You have a lot of black in the picture (the background and her jacket and her hair)... the meter was probably reading on that... perhaps i would have used a spot meter her face?

Yes, the picture looks overexposed now. Even though her face is brighter, her skin now has highlights that scream pop up flash, not creamy smooth like the original. Her jacket also has some reflection. Honestly, even though the first is a little underexposed, I like it much better than the 2nd.

The backround is blown out some, but I like the detail of the second photo more than the dark first photo. You know her skin tone better than us, so it is hard to tell if it looks blown out.

Her face and the jacket have a nice sharp edge. Mask for the jacket and correct only that?

I know you just asked about exposure, but it wouldn't help you any if I didn't point out that the focus is on her ear. Eyes are soft.

Hey, I shot this the other day and the original was darker so I PP to get more detail on her jacket. My question is does the exposure look correct and/or does the image look over processed?
Thanks in advance.
Jack
Original
P2202235-1-1-1.jpg
The subjects face is underexposed at least 1.5 stops and local adjustments would look better than global adjustments. It looks like you have some sharpening artifacts on the sunglasses and in her hair on top.

I opened the image in Photoshop, the Layer > New > Layer. When the layer dialog box opens select "Soft Light" in the mode box.and put a check mark in the "Fill with Soft-Light neutral color (50% gray) and click OK.

Select the "Dodge tool" and set the brush size to a soft edge and about 175 pixels diameter.

You're going to hold down the left mouse button and "paint" soft light on just the subject, leaving the background untouched.

EditP2202235-1-1-1.jpg

Most reactions

Back