Help with eyes!

tbarnes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My first mistake is that I shouldn't wear bright (I mean BRIGHT) colored jackets. In every shot in the beginning (around 4:30pm) the eyes were beautiful except for this neon coral reflection from me! So to answer part of my own question I know I should wear more neutral colors.

What about the reflection in general? How do I avoid my silhouette in their eyes. I just want the the eye, not the eye and me!

I would assume when I edit?

Thanks in advance :) I can give examples if I need too!

I am thinking your probably have the subject in-between yourself and the primary light source. If you are backlighting, use a reflector to bounce light back on their face/eyes.

Yep! If a reflection of you is in the subjects eyes, you are back lit.
The lighting on the subject likely looks flat, because the facial mask would cast no shadows.

Instead of having the Sun directly behind you, make sure it is 30° or so to either side. Plus, at that angle you can use a reflector that is just out of the image frame for a bit of fill light on the shadowed side of the subjects face.

The Sun is an apparently small light source, and like any small light source, makes sharp edged, harsh shadows.

Lighting and reflections is all about the angles. Experience shooting pool helps, because it's all about the angles too.

My first mistake is that I shouldn't wear bright (I mean BRIGHT) colored jackets. In every shot in the beginning (around 4:30pm) the eyes were beautiful except for this neon coral reflection from me! So to answer part of my own question I know I should wear more neutral colors.

What about the reflection in general? How do I avoid my silhouette in their eyes. I just want the the eye, not the eye and me!

I would assume when I edit?

Thanks in advance :) I can give examples if I need too!

Now you know why photographers tend to wear "trendy black" clothes (hint: it's not to be trendy). Less reflective clothing means you probably wont show up in any reflections ... at least not in any "easy to spot" way. I have a HUGE black cloth (it's actually a tablecloth for a large table size) that I use to throw over stuff that I don't want showing up in photos. Last fall I had to shoot a restaurant in late evening to get the lighting right. I was across the street with a 300mm prime lens shooting the patrons and wait staff serving tables through the glass. Unfortunately... right beside me was what can only be described as a small billboard. It was completely white with red & black lettering advertising the fact that that there was retail space available for lease in the store complex behind me. THAT billboard was showing up as a reflection in the restaurant's windows. I pulled out the tablecloth and a couple of clamps... 10 seconds later the problem was solved (no reflections!).

HOWEVER... always be aware of everything in the image that can create a reflection. If there's a reflective surface in the background (windows, mirrors, picture frames or any art with a glass protective frame), etc. then they'll reflect unless you're positioned at an angle to the surface. Even wood paneling can be extremely shiny (although these usually only capture reflections from a flash or light and not your body & camera.)

Catch-light reflections in the subject's eyes are usually desirable. They brighten the eyes and make them look healthy & young. But that reflection is deliberate and controlled.

^+1

You can also become your own reflector, wear a white shirt. Unless you're the size of a car, that won't work for big groups, but perfectly for little ones' faces :)

Now you know why photographers tend to wear "trendy black" clothes ...
Ladies and gentlemen.. the first known legitimate use of the words "photographer" and "trendy" used in the same sentence and referring to clothing! Well done sir!

Like the idea to use a black tablecloth Tim, very handy trick to know.

my photog outfit is all black. for many reasons, such as mentioned above, but also to stay out of others shots as much as possible. I roam around and get my shots, sometimes have other shooters with me on certain events. So I blend in. Usually black cargo pants, love the pockets for gear, and black nikon shirt. Funny since I shoot Canon now. ... lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back