Help with flash bracket decision please

CxThree

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I have been trying to decide on a camera flash bracket. I have a 40D and I own a battery grip for it.

I looked at, and almost bought, the alzo digital flash bracket. However, just before purchasing, I noticed that when you flip the camera, that mount puts you in a position where your shutter button is on the bottom and in an strange location.

I am now back to square one. I want to get an economical one, as this is my first one and I do not know how much I will use it.

Stroboframe looks interesting. I see that the Camera Flip model is fairly nice. Their website says its for cameras with battery grips, but I am hearing people say that is not so. Anyone using one of these on a 40 or 50d with a battery grip?

Are there other models I could consider? I'd like to have the option of using my battery grip and having the battery grip shutter release on the top of the camera when rotated to portrait mode.

Also, I'd like to avoud paying through the nose for it and getting a Custom Brackets Pro-M.

I see [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhqjSzY5HcM&feature=related"]this [/ame]one on youtube. Its a Vertiflash flash bracket FF300. Any feedback on it too?

I have a Stroboframe Press-T. It's designed so that I hold the camera with both hands, just like normal, rather than having to hold the bracket itself. It's a flash flip, rather than a camera flip, so it can be a pain when you are trying to bounce the flash while using it in the flipped vertical position, but that's typical for many brackets.

Remember that with a bracket, you will need a cord for the flash, and if you want all the features, like it's on the camera, you will need the Canon Off-Shoe cord (about $50).
Also, you may need other accessories like an anti-rotate plate.

Personally, I don't use my bracket as much as I used to. I've found that it can be too unwieldy at times and it's a little easier to bounce the flash or use some sort of accessory.

Thanks Mike,

Anyone else have more feedback?

I do, but you may not like it. A camera bracket really doesn't do all that much for moving the flash far enough off access to be of any great value. If you want a quality lighting result, off camera flash is the key.

If you do not know how or do not want to go off camera, simply bouncing the on camera flash does as good, if not better.

There is no real viable reason to even use a bracket anymore other than for looks. They make the camera heavier, harder to hold/control and do nothing for lighting improvements.

I apologize if this is not the kind of opinion you wanted to read... just kinda saying it like I see it... and yeah, I bought a bracket for my dad this Christmas and tried it out. It was a waste of $175, if I must say so myself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back