Help with group shots

VaE39

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,
I was offered to do my first paid session next week! The shoot will begin at 7:30am and will last until noon. The session is for my University's Dance Department and will be paid by the University. It's a senior show, and the shots will be blown up and put as a poster for advertisement of their show. Here are the details:
-Outdoor shoot
-9-10 people in the shot
-They want all their faces highlighted while having an interesting background
-Theme is "Leaving Richmond"
-Richmond, VA is very Urban yet historical city
-I only have this one day to get the shot I need
-I shoot with a Nikon D7000, I have an SB-600, a Lumapro160 flash, 35 f/1.8, 50 f/1.8, Sigma 10-20, Nikon 18-105, I do have an umbrella and stands and wireless remotes (but the umbrella is small for single head shots)

What advice can you give me for this. I'm pretty nervous as this is my first paid gig, and this is my first group shot, as well as my first time photographing dancers.

Thanks

No suggestions?

Im thinking use your 35 prime or maybe your 50 depending on your available space. use your flashes(off camera if posable) as fill for the shadows.

If you are feeling creative you can try for something wider but just watch the distortion. People look funny with a wide lens :p

EDIT:

Sounds like a lot of firsts for getting paid to do it. Don't **** up.
What he said.... my first is coming up on march 5th-6th

Two words: DON'T RUSH! I find it's very common for people to try and rush through this so that they don't keep people waiting or "waste their time". Take all the time you need. Make sure you get it right, and when you think you've to the money shot, take three or four more.

Have at least two poses in mind before hand. I'll assume that there is probably a roughly equal balance of male and female. The simplest I think would be the six tallest standing at the back, then the four shorter in front. Don't forget position them according to height, whether you have them so that their heads are all roughly equal (best IMO) or tallest at one end or... just make sure that it looks like a plan.

Have your lighting plan sorted beforehand and stick to it. Since it's a small group, it shouldn't be too difficult. I would probably go with a strobe and umbrella off to each side for a nice, even lighting; it might be a little flat, but that's not necessarily a bad thing in a shoot like this.

Looking at your glass, I would do two different sets of shots. One with either the 35 or 50 fairly wide open, and another from close up and down low using the 10-20 as wide as you can get. Make sure though (Because of the extreme DoF you will have) that you have a really good background.

Good luck!

Well knowing Richmond a little since its 2 hours away i'll try to help out as much as I can.

I would try getting the group of students in the middle of the straight and have them run jump in 'joy'. I think that kind of simulates 'leaving Richmond'

Get some shots at key points around Richmond, Virginia State Capitol, Richmond Center, maymount grounds, Robert E. Lee statue, ect. Get something that makes Richmond pop out more in your back drop.

Maybe try getting all them into a car, and get them all laughing and waving as they pull away. Try getting window paint and write " Good bye Richmond ! " on the back ?

Maybe try to get them on the James River with the city in the backdrop ?

Idk just throwing random ideas out there for you. Hopefully they will help.

Don't be nervous ! You dont want that showing in your photos. Make sure you take all the shots that come to mind. You dont want to say afterwards , " Ohh i wish i did this"
Make sure you get their smiles and make sure their face stands out. Have fun with them , Have funny face pictures, goofy stances, ect. Bring out the kid in them.

Shoot a lot too ! Get many options.

Hope this helps !

What kind of clothes will they be wearing? This is for a show and they are dancers so I would think that you would want to incorporate that main piece into the shot. I like the idea of them in a car waving 'bye' but it doesn't incorporate the dancing. Do you know anything about the show to incorporate into the shot? It sounds like this job has a little bit of advertising to it too.

Most reactions

Back