Help with lighting my rice please

redbourn

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
best-food.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a softbox and big diffuser and tried moving them around, but still ended up with burned out rice.

In the photo and not in the pot ;-)

I didn't eat the meal and have the same setup to shoot it again.

So how to fix the lighting would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

P.S. I will move the food at bottom left. And move the piece of parsley above it higher
basque rice.jpg

Last edited:
Can you post a photo/diagram your set-up so we can see position, modifiers, etc?

Thanks. I did move the softbox and diffuser around a little but only two or three feet in a few directions.

The rice was furthest from the camera in the actual shot.

The photo that I shot was at f5 but even the ones at f7.1 have the same problem so it's not just a question of depth of field which I first thought it might be.

Have a new system from today and don't know why I didn't think of it before. I always cook for two days and used to photograph the meal and then eat it.

But from now on I will photograph the meal and then put it in the fridge and eat the other portion. That way I will have a 2nd chance at the photo after viewing the results and playing with it.

It's a pity that I can't view the proposed shot
setup.jpg
on my big monitor but my camera (Nikon D330) doesn't have the connector.

Try lighting more overhead (not directly, but more than you are now) and getting the light in closer. You're working with a lot of very reflective surfaces, and while the closer light might not be as exciting, it should be "safer".

Try lighting more overhead (not directly, but more than you are now) and getting the light in closer. You're working with a lot of very reflective surfaces, and while the closer light might not be as exciting, it should be "safer".

Thanks and will try it tomorrow !

Try moving the light 180 degrees. Having your whitest object closest to the light isn't doing you any favors.

Also, what were your settings? Your DOF seems pretty thin. Part of the rice being blown out might be due to it being outside of your DOF as well.

image.png
Try moving your light, a lot, all the way around your subject. Any subject, doesnt have to be rice. Strobist.blogspot.com I think its his first exercise. Read the rest of that site.

The rice is over exposed.

Google lighting diagram.

Light it from the front as suggested, your backlighting it; why?

there is too much food on that plate. Use a ramekin to help plate the rice. 4oz rice should be lots.

View attachment 118232 Try moving your light, a lot, all the way around your subject. Any subject, doesnt have to be rice. Strobist.blogspot.com I think its his first exercise. Read the rest of that site.

The rice is over exposed.

Google lighting diagram.

Light it from the front as suggested, your backlighting it; why?

Backlighting it ?

About 45 degrees from the back. Can't really have light pointing at camera.

Just took another photo of same food but softbox pointing more down as suggested earlier.

for final basque chicken and veg sauce.jpg

This is much better I think, but lesson may be that rice doesn't like short dof.

for final basque chicken and veg sauce.jpg

Try moving the light 180 degrees. Having your whitest object closest to the light isn't doing you any favors.

Rice was furthest away but when I did a quick photo of setup I forgot to set the plate itself in the right direction.

Thanks for the replies

Most reactions

New Topics

Back