Help with long exposure

behindslr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
irvinakatech.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello i have some question i never in last 3-4 years take a long exposure.Now after long time i want do just long exposure and timelaps.
For timelaps i know everthing but big problem is long exposure i really dont know how to make it.

I have nikon d3200 with 2 remote controler one is with cable and other is giga t pro 2 ir and everthing for timelaps or contionues photo is ok,but what i doing wrong when long exposure.

I put on manual mode, and bulb then on remote i make button and wait 2 minut but after that my picture was all white,i do everthing but always back with white picture or better after 2 minut i make normal picture.
Its make me really crazy becouse i buy 2 more battery,tripod everthing and what i do wrong i know that this is 5minut job for setup but for me is like i came from 10 century :apologetic::adjoint:

It sounds like you're over-exposing (allowing too much light in). If you're doing long (as in minutes long) exposures during daylight, you will need your lowest ISO, a small aperture and usually several stops worth of neutral density filters to cut down on the amount of light allowed to strike the sensor.

Can you elaborate a little more on the circumstances, length of time, etc for these exposures?

Tireiron hit the nail on the head - way overexposed.
You can experiment? Lower your ISO to 100 and on manual, Stop your lens down as far as you can, say F32 or whatever it has. Then take a shot at 1/2 second and look at it. You can increase or decrease the time and see what the maximum time you can use with just the lens. Any longer time and you need to add neutral density filters to further reduce the light.

Any longer time and you need to add neutral density filters to further reduce the light.
This. You'll need to use neutral density filters if you want to do long exposures during the daytime.

What are you taking a picture of?

You simply cannot take a 2-minute exposure in daytime without dome serious darkening filters on the lens.

The first image below was only 2 seconds on a moonlit night! However, it was shot with the aperture wide open, and ISO at 200. Had I dropped the ISO to my camera's minimum of 100, and closed the aperture down to the lens's smallest at that zoom setting, f:25, the shutter speed for the equivalent exposure would be just under two minutes.

So this could have been 2 minutes, at night, with the moon not quite full and a little bit above the top edge of the frame.
26046826503_e573786641_b.jpg

This one is 30 seconds, under a full moon just after 9 PM, which as far east in my time zone as I am, is way past pitch black night. It's at f:11 and ISO 400. Again, had I selected ISO 100, it would be a two-minute exposure. I shot for 30 seconds because that's the longest timed shutter speed on my camera, and I didn't want to use B.
19480954143_e95084fd8d_b.jpg

So I could have taken either of these with a 2-minute exposure at night. That should make it clear why two minutes in daylight is solid blown-out white......

Most reactions

New Topics

Back