Help with making sports pictures crisp..

iPwnF00lz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took some shots at my schools lacrosse game the other night and they all came out pretty blurry and not in focus, I used the sports setting on my D70 and I am using a 70-300mm lense. Any tips?:confused:
Picture798248516.jpg

Picture798248485.jpg

Picture798248487.jpg

Picture798248488.jpg

Picture798248489.jpg

Picture798248500.jpg

Picture798248501.jpg

Picture798248520.jpg

See what I mean?:thumbdown:

I was using a monopod too.

yes, don't use the sports setting.
Set it to aperture priority and open the lens right up, as low a number as you can. f/2.8 would work great in these conditions, it looks a little dark and this will give you a quick speed for your shutter.

Chances are your lens is too slow, especially at the focal length you're shooting at. To get shots like these in focus with low lighting, you'd need an aperture of around f2 so you could increase your shutter speed and still retain the same amount of light. Of course you could also bump your ISO up to 1600 or 3200 but the noise levels often negate any quality you gain in focus. And it probably wouldn't buy you as much light as a faster lens would.

The Sports mode will make higher shutter speeds a priority over the aperture.
Your shots appear to be taken at 1/25s ... way too slow to stop motion blur.
This means your ISO is too low for the maximum lens aperture and lighting condition.

You can crank your ISO higher (if you can) ... and/or get a faster lens.

First off, use manual mode for best results. Your main problem is probably your lens. The 70-300 is a very slow lens. I would recommend an 80-200 F2.8 or even a 70-200 F2.8VR if you can afford it.

yes, don't use the sports setting.
Set it to aperture priority and open the lens right up, as low a number as you can. f/2.8 would work great in these conditions, it looks a little dark and this will give you a quick speed for your shutter.
Did you read the post he used the 70-300mm that doesn't have 2.8

Did you read the post he used the 70-300mm that doesn't have 2.8

haha! So? I didn't say that lens had it, I was suggesting to use that aperture. Which in this case would mean a different lens. I'm sure he understood that.

i was also going to suggest new lens.

Most reactions

Back