Help with night shot in Brooklyn

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by photo_rev, Sep 11, 2018.

1. photo_rev

photo_rev TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I took this photo at this popular location in Brooklyn, NY. See how the street lamps are overpowering the picture. Also there is a strange green aberration near the top of the photo. I would appreciate any tips on how to improve this photo. Thanks.

Taken on a tripod at 17mm. No filter.
    ISO 400, F-11, 2.5 seconds

IMG_8305 copy.jpg

2. bulldurham

bulldurham TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I edited it in PS but since you don't allow editing, telling you what conclusions I came to would be fruitless because you wouldn't have any comparisons...I will tell you it has to do with the light sources, especially the one causing all your issues.

3. JBPhotog

JBPhotog TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That "strange green aberration" is called flare, I have circled examples of this in red. Nearly every lens will exhibit some sort of flare when a strong light source projects through the lens. Some brands are better at control of flare through their proprietary lens coatings but very complex lens designs with multiple glass surfaces can cause this. Edit it out as bulldurham suggested or live with it, second option is to shoot a different angle to eliminate the light source.

You also have some hot pixels circled in yellow.
    IMG_8305-edits.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  4. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    do you have a UV filter on the lens?

5. SCraig

SCraig Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This type of scene is EXACTLY why HDR was developed.

6. NancyMoranG

NancyMoranG Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I hope you get to fix it because I like the shot!! (I don't know how to help you, sorry)

7. greybeard

greybeard Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    The big bright light source in the top center is blown out. The pixels are maxed out and there is really nothing short of extensive editing that can help this. The green and purple flair is from light bouncing around inside your lens. I see that you were not using a filter and that is smart as filters will add flair to this type of scene. These can be cloned out in pretty much any editing software.

HDR would be the way to go for this type of shot. There are tons of videos etc. on how to shoot HDR's and many cameras have built in HDR though I don't know if it would be extreme enough to handle a shot like the one you made. HDR will tame the blown out light sources but, it won't do anything to help the flair. I'd go back to that location and try shooting a 5 or 6 frame HDR.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  8. otherprof

otherprof TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

I agree with all the comments about flare and filters but if you want to salvage this photo, as opposed to shooting it better next time, I think you can crop it to a vertical with the top under the main problem light. You will still have some rays around a couple of lights on the right, but you lose the cars on the left - a positive result I think - and keep the person, the identifiable bridge and the Empire State Building. I tried it with an 8x10 vertical. I would also lower the highlights and brightness. In Photos, on my phone, “dramatic cool” worked for my taste.