help with pics please

recon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Guys & gals,
I need some major advice please. I am a wood turner I make bowls, vases etc... out of wood on my lathe.

I also use this program for my pics FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ...

Click pics for full size.

I made this bowl out of Birdseye Maple. using the Kodak DX 4530 camera.

In order to post it on a turning forum that I belong to.
This forum. Woodturner's Resource

When posting pics inside of the gallery you have a max limit of 75 KB (whatever that means) & 100 KB to post pics inside of a thread.

I made this pen holder out of Cedar wood. using a Kodak C913 camera

after opening it up using the fastone I got this info.
(3472 x 2604 = 9.04 MP 2.151 KB)

My problem is being able to post the pics inside of the gallery & threads. When I use the Kodak DX 4530 I had minor problems. but using the Kodak C913 major problems. After adjusting the size down to 640x480 it was better but still to big until getting down to the 100KB I ended up with this shot.

As you can see if I go down to the 75KB I need to put in the gallery there will be hardly any pic left.

I also tried taking the pics using the flower setting for close ups also tried to stand 5' away & zoom also tried to use the auto setting. As you can see I'm having major problems with pics. i ALSO ADJUSTED THE jpeg quality down to 50% the pics came out really crappy.

So any advice you can give me I greatly appreciate. I would like to get the largest pic I can with the best quality in order to post my pics of my turnings. I hope I have given you enough info in order to advise me if not please ask & I'll supply any info you need.

Thank You for any help.

Chuck

Welcome to the forum.

There are two basic things that you can do, to reduce the file size of digital images. The first is to reduce the actual size of the image. So from (3472 x 2604), you should 'resize' the image down to something suitable for viewing on a monitor. Less than 800 pixels (on the long side) is good but you could go lower...down to 600 or 400 etc.

The next thing is compression. JPEG is a compression format so when you 'save as' a JPEG file, you can choose the compression level (quality).

If you resize and then compress the image...the file size should be reduced quite a bit.

As for how much compression to use....that might be something you need to figure out via trial and error. I usually use 7 or 8 (on a scale of 12) but I've gone lower and the quality loss was only minor.

Mike,
when I click on the "save as" button I always put the pics on the desk top so I can find them. It doesn't give me any compression mode???

Chuck

Most reactions

New Topics

Back