Help with portfolio photos

I am not angry but people come here to make the step into professional, like I am, looking for constructive criticism on how to move forward don't need "oh my that is the best you can do" we need to know what to do to make that better. Ok they are not pro quality, I knew that before I put them up but that is what I am shooting at now with a point and shoot fujifilm and a nikon f55 I don't have a digital slr yet I have to save up for that. How do I move forward. I got some great advise from Rusty use a filler flash to light up the face and take the shadows off the eyes, someone said I pulled the landscape in to much and the horizon needs to be straighten out, now I know I have to watch myself for that as this is the second time I have had a tilt on my horizon. I came for critiques and ideas and opinions from people who are professional or advanced hobbyists even amateur hobbyist, I just find that same people here are into saying they are crap without the help to follow it. That is all I am saying give me your opinion I am open to opinions but destructive is pointless.

If you want advice on how to improve your work, we'll be glad to help. But it would be helpful to have a very realistic idea of your position on the food chain. Part of that would be to understand what a 'portfolio' actually is.

A portfolio is used by professionals to show examples of completed professional work to prospective clients. What you have here is a few snapshots of your kids and travel photos. You are not ready to join the professional ranks. You are not even an advanced amateur. It is important that you grasp this.

Last edited:
These photos are not very good. I am sorry if that hurts your feelings, but we all start somewhere! The kids are too too cute, but the picture quality is IMO, below average.

What are your settings, what camera, lens?

If you want advice on how to improve your work, we'll be glad to help. But it would be helpful to have a very realistic idea of your position on the food chain. Part of that would be to understand what a 'portfolio' actually is.

A portfolio is used by professionals to show examples of completed professional work to prospective clients. What you have here is a few snapshots of your kids and travel photos. You are not ready to join the professional ranks. You are not even an advanced amateur. It is important that you grasp this.

Wow... nice edit. Much better than what you originally had... you're learning how to post like a human being! I'm proud of you! :greenpbl: :sexywink: :lol:

Thanks.

Thank you Rusty for your help. One thing I have learned here is that some of you just like to be mean without the help. Those like Rusty who do offer help are great. Others like mrpink seem to be out to degrade not help.

It has been almost a week since we had someone with their sensitivity meter turned up too high.

What I meant to post was - your photos are awesome, I love everything about them.... ohhh the colors are pretty.

Welcome to TPF, you will fit in just fine here.

p!nK

Most reactions

Back