Help with pricing on licensing images from Ireland

A living income cannot be made by doing retail photography today.
Commercial photography is in almost as bad a shape.

You adapt by pursuing a career that pays a living income.

Today photographs are a bulk commodity - like bushels of corn.

In order - The Internet, the DSLR, social networking, and photo sharing web sites have all combined to kill the industry.
I'm scared that you're right, and I pray to G-D you're wrong.

Wait a minute, how does this person not know how to license usage?? saying he/she hasn't licensed usage before. The brochure is apparently one of 5 regional ones done on Your Daily Adventure by a company called Glance Promotions; there are a couple of photos on every page of their brochures (if it's this company).

Is this person actually with the company doing the brochure?? this doesn't make sense. The person would be licensing usage every time a new brochure is done, and apparently with a number of photographers by the look of the brochures. Even if it's a different company than this the person should know how to license usage.

Something doesn't seem right... maybe you need to ask some questions and get more information - don't send the photo(s) on the basis of the person just saying they'll pay $___ euros, and please be careful about signing a contract or anything.

Last edited:
A living income cannot be made by doing retail photography today.
Commercial photography is in almost as bad a shape.

You adapt by pursuing a career that pays a living income.

Today photographs are a bulk commodity - like bushels of corn.

In order - The Internet, the DSLR, social networking, and photo sharing web sites have all combined to kill the industry.

My apologies to the OP for not staying on-task as to your question. KmH's comment just got me thinking about how pros might handle the "new environment"; so a few random thoughts ...

So is there a big opportunity for pros to educate the huge number of novices?????
Running courses, workshops etc.

There must be 1000's of "wannabees" who would love to take better photos - but they only have a limited understanding of their cameras, exposure, lighting, flash, shooting a family event, running a business, post processing, displaying images.
Become their #1 "go to" place for improvement. Keep varying the offerings so they keep coming back.
Every year there will be a new group of potential clients buying a camera.
Why not tap into that huge market rather than struggling to find shoots of diminishing returns.

So break up the MIX of the business.
* Continue to offer a premium product for those that appreciate quality and are willing to pay for it.
* Add the education side to your repertoire of services and market to the MWAC/DWAC/part-timers. Hell there is a flood of them at sports events - get your word out to THEM. "I can help you take a LOT better photos of your kids". "I'll tell what settings you need to use and why". "Learn in a friendly atmosphere with other parents who want to make keepsakes of their kids" Blah, blah blah
Get access to private mentoring via subscription service - email access to you?

Instead of competing against this flood of cameras, get them to come to you so you can make them better????????

Last edited:
Wait a minute, how does this person not know how to license usage?? saying he/she hasn't licensed usage before. The brochure is apparently one of 5 regional ones done on Your Daily Adventure by a company called Glance Promotions; there are a couple of photos on every page of their brochures (if it's this company).

Is this person actually with the company doing the brochure?? this doesn't make sense. The person would be licensing usage every time a new brochure is done, and apparently with a number of photographers by the look of the brochures. Even if it's a different company than this the person should know how to license usage.

Something doesn't seem right... maybe you need to ask some questions and get more information - don't send the photo(s) on the basis of the person just saying they'll pay $___ euros, and please be careful about signing a contract or anything.
Hey vintagesnap, thanks for your reply.

The place that wants to license my image is NOT the same place that makes the brochures. They are a small boat tour operator.
Plus, I already sent them a bunch of images for their perusal (low res with a watermark) about a month ago.
If they wanted to, they could have just used my image/s without asking, and I would have never know.
The fact that they contacted me back a month later asking to use the image, shows their honest intentions.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I am so glad I was able to live during a time when one could be a full time professional photographer and make some real money.
But it's sad watching the profession whither up and die.

yes it is sad
but now that everyone has a camera and is a part of the photography "profession" maybe it's a good thing

Being based in the UK, it sounds like that's probably your best offer for that usage, but make sure it's the one use only and any other is charged separately. In future, you might want to look at the NUJ (National Union of Journalists) rates for the job ( Freelance Fees Guide: Welcome ) and compare them with the Alamy calculator ( www.alamy.com ), just to get a sense of variance. Although Ireland is not in the UK, I suspect the prices are similar.

Most reactions

Back