Help with shuttle speeds

deeuk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a new digital camcorder to use in greyhound racing , it will be to recorded a race then playback frame by frame to determine a winner, eg photo finish .... someone said to me its all to do with shuttle speed

can someone please help me as i don't have much knowledge on cameras

On a camcorder its the shutter speed. The normal setting is for optimum video performance which means that still frames tend to be blurred. You change the shutter speed to get optimum quality freeze frame - conditions dictate which is the best shutter speed to use. It means that video playback is a bit jerky though*.
Most camcorder, digital or analogue, have the option built in these days so it boils down to what you are going to do with the video and what your budget is.
I'd have a look at the Canon DVCam range. Best balance of features, quality and price - and you can put the video straight on to your computer.
You would do better to seek advice from a Video Forum though.
Try here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7594_7-0.html?forumID=59&messageID=1495774&threadID=132684

*Trivial note: 'shutters' for better freeze frame images were built into video cameras purely because all the Japanese company bosses play golf and they wanted it so they could analyse their golf swings. Fact.

Thanks for the advise
Someone did say to me i wanted 1 over 100 or 1 over 200 shuttle speed the other day, but to be honest i know absolutely nothing about cams, my budgets is £350 max

if you're taking pictures of greyhound races, you'll need 1/800 minimum. anything slower results in a motion blur.

EscapeTurn said:
if you're taking pictures of greyhound races, you'll need 1/800 minimum. anything slower results in a motion blur.
That's if you're taking stills. With video it's different... they almost always use slow shutter speeds, except fighting scenes...

Can anyone advise any cameras that they think i can look at in my price range

forces of nature said:
I think you may be in the wrong place, This is purely a forum for photographers, with cameras, not camcorders.

quoted for emphasis.

There may be people here who use video cameras, but your best bet would be to try a forum specific for video cameras/camcorders.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back