Help with stolen D3000

RTA Supra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm sorry if this isn't the correct forum to post this

Hi PF,
I just had my brand new Nikon D3000 w/18-55mm VR stolen yesterday. I still have the box as well as the receipt for it too. Someone just posted up a "like new" D3000 kit with lens for sale in my area on craigslist. I'm going to go see it hopefully very soon, but am wondering where the serial number can be found on the body and the lens. Thanks for any help!

I'm sorry if this isn't the correct forum to post this

Hi PF,
I just had my brand new Nikon D3000 w/18-55mm VR stolen yesterday. I still have the box as well as the receipt for it too. Someone just posted up a "like new" D3000 kit with lens for sale in my area on craigslist. I'm going to go see it hopefully very soon, but am wondering where the serial number can be found on the body and the lens. Thanks for any help!

i belive its on the bottom, make sure to give LE a heads up on it!

Thanks! I see there are two short numbers on the box. The first one above where it says "D3000" there is a 7 digit number. Above "18-55" there is an 8 digit number. Are these the numbers that would be on the camera?

Should be, but as gardy said...make sure to let LE know before you go. Let them know there's a chance it could be your stolen camera. As long as you have the receipt and all you'll be good.

should be, i would get in touch with LE if you havent already and let them know whats going on, and that way when you go to see it they can be waiting if it turns out to be the same one

Thanks! I see there are two short numbers on the box. The first one above where it says "D3000" there is a 7 digit number. Above "18-55" there is an 8 digit number. Are these the numbers that would be on the camera?

I shoot Canon, so the packaging is a little different... Did they come with warranty cards? Those will definitely have the serial number on them - the box should too though, as well as the receipt.

Lens S/N's are typically near the mount, body S/N's are usually on an ID plate on the bottom of the camera.

Have you reported it stolen to the local PD?

If you go there, and it turns out to be your gear, it might be best to just leave ("Let me run to the ATM to get the money") and call the cops.

If they know that you know, they will ditch the gear.

Thanks guys. We'll see what happens. Hopefully it is because they took more than my camera from my home.

I shoot Canon, so the packaging is a little different... Did they come with warranty cards? Those will definitely have the serial number on them - the box should too though, as well as the receipt.

Lens S/N's are typically near the mount, body S/N's are usually on an ID plate on the bottom of the camera.

If you go there, and it turns out to be your gear, it might be best to just leave ("Let me run to the ATM to get the money") and call the cops.

That's what I plan to do. I do have a case file on it. Hopefully they have everything else they took from my home.

i personaly wouldent leave and say im going to the atm, if LE is willing, they might wait around the corner in an unmarked car or somthing of that sort

What if they alter/rub out the S/N's?

That won't look suspicious...lol.

It's possible though. It is a guaranteed way of saying "hey, this is stolen" though. That would probably hurt the resale value.

yea LE wouldent be able to do much to prove its yours, but it screams guilty, who in their right mind would scratch that stuff off of a camera they legitmetley own??? another thing that might help in the future, i know my d90 has it, in the settings there is a space to add costom txt that stays with all of your pics and on the camera, in mine its called "pic comment" so unless they know how to delete that that is another way your camera can be identified

It's possible though. It is a guaranteed way of saying "hey, this is stolen" though. That would probably hurt the resale value.

I wonder what percentage of people going to look at this camera, will look at the S/N?

I wonder what percentage of people going to look at this camera, will look at the S/N?
to be honest, if i was going to look at a camera as such, i think i wouldent even think to look at it, unless it was obvious that they ground it off and it just cought my eye

Most reactions

Back