Help with strange color halo-ing

robEMPire

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm shooting with a Canon T2i and the 18-55mm kit lens. I've been noticing that when I'm shooting a stationary object with hard edges (like a building) in high sunlight, I'm often left with thick color outlines or halos around some of the edges.

Someone told me that it's because Canon's 18-55mm kit lens is low quality and that a better lens would correct this. I'd rather find a solution that didn't involve me shelling out hundreds or thousands of dollars. Can anyone explain to me what causes this and/or how to remedy it? Sample pic below, I know it's overexposed but it was part of a bracketed series for an HDR merger and I get this effect sometimes on shots that are not overexposed as well.

t6O9L.jpg

Chromatic aberration, and yes, it is a combination of lens + situation. Never tried, but there should be some PP technique for reducing that (but a better lens would do it better).

Ah so THAT'S chromatic aberration, good to know, thanks for the info. I see that as an option when I'm processing HDR images (and I check the box) but I wasn't sure what it was. If you can't tell, I'm very much a newbie. So a better lens... ok. Does that mean I have to go all the way up to L-lenses? Because I don't have that kind of cash laying around. I'm bidding on a used 55-250mm EF-S at the moment, but I'm far from the point where I can be shelling out $1k+ for a lens.

If you're looking for a better quality lens, skip the 55-250 (it's about the same quality as the 18-55, ie rubbish) and keep saving for something a bit better.

Bang for buck you can't beat the canon EF 50mm f1.8 prime, it's about $110 brand new.

Prime lenses are often times have less CA. Low quality glass, or wide focal length lenses (like an 18-200mm) are ones to stick away from. There is a CA correction tool in Adobe Camera RAW I believe (as well as Lightroom). With a small image (I.E. Facebook size), CA will not be very noticeable at all.

Ah so THAT'S chromatic aberration, good to know, thanks for the info. I see that as an option when I'm processing HDR images (and I check the box) but I wasn't sure what it was. If you can't tell, I'm very much a newbie. So a better lens... ok. Does that mean I have to go all the way up to L-lenses? Because I don't have that kind of cash laying around. I'm bidding on a used 55-250mm EF-S at the moment, but I'm far from the point where I can be shelling out $1k+ for a lens.

I can live without maximum optical quality. I have 55-250IS too, taken after having read good reviews of it (always considering also price, and including this sentence: The level of lateral chromatic aberrations is very low and usually not field relevant at around or less than ~1px on the average at the image borders. ). For example, it is better than the 75-300 you could find for something less.

From my experience, I got a lot of CA on the long end of a Tamron zoom lens on my old Sony A200, and I would assume it was because of the moving parts, and the glass changing proximity to other optics. Whereas the prime lenses that I've used suffered from very little CA, a small enough amount that I don't have to fix it in post. I haven't used any real budget prime lenses though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back