Help with the strobe light

plastii

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi.

I'm looking for explenation for the following: (it's for a strobe light)

Guide number (m/100 ISO): 41
Stepless Power Variation: Yes
Flash Inhibit Circuit: Yes
Built in Slave Cell: Yes
Switchable Slave Cell: Yes
EM Noise Suppression: Yes

Thanks.
Marek

Guide number is a way to measure flash srength. In this case, that it can properly exose a scene 41 feet away at ISO 100.

Stepless power variation means the light is adjustable in infinitly varying amounts.

Flash inhibit means you have a way to disable the flash on command.

Slave cell, it's ability to receive a signal from an outside light source and use it as a trigger.

Switchable slave cell, the ability to turn on and off this feature (see above)

EM Noise supression... not sure. EM stands for electro-magnetic, so it has something in it to lower EM noise, possibly?

The 41 could also mean Meters.

If it's a small flash then it's likely feet.

Is this flash or a studio type strobe? I ask because most strobes are rated in WSs but if they have built in EM suppression then it may be a strobe - the EM suppression would be to keep it from interfering with a wireless trigger.

EM Noise Suppression: Yes

This means it has circuitry and/or shielding to cut down radio interference.
Flash units use high voltage coils for charging capacitors and firing the flash. These produce EM fields and AC currents and switching circuits will produce radio radio noise and clicks on tv/radio/'phone unless they have shielding/suppression. EM/RF interference can also affect other electronics like computers.
In short, EM noise suppression is a good thing ;)

Wouldn't (m/100 ISO) imply meters?

I'm not saying it's impossible, I have been known to be wrong once or twice in my 47 years on this earth.

Different manufacturers have different ratings and the meter/feet is a potential way to fool people into thinking one is stronger than another, not paying attention to if they use meters or feet.

All Nikon speedlights are measured using both meters and feet in all their literature and on the website (at least on the nikon.ca one anyways).

Most reactions

Back