Help with video cameras.

AkinaGod

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This may not be in the right forum site but any help would be very appreciated. I am looking for a great video/sound recording camera that can take high speed shots with minimal problems during night, rain, snow, bright light, etc. I will be using it for multiple purposes including street racing at night, high speed shots of birds, and more. I need a good zoom feature as well. Night vision would be nice but I would like it better if it recorded just as the eye sees without having to go to night vision. Hope this helps. If there is something I left out then let me know and I will answer any questions you have. Please keep it small and compact as it will be both mounted to vehicles and used for mountain climbing. Price range isn't important as long as it does exactly what I like.

Also the Nikon D90 or the new Casio will do the trick too! :D

Meh... the people here in general are extremely knowledgeable about cameras. I would go to a forum where the knowledge level is centered around the area of what I wanted to ask about.

Google is your friend. :)

Off Topic:
Just wondering, are you driving a AE86? (Based on your name in the forum)

I'm a cinematographer of more than respectable experience. :D

What is your budget? You have made a pretty tall order there. If the versatile Red One (or similar) is outside your budget, how about a Panasonic DVX100B, or the remarkable Sony PMW-EX1 (which would be my main suggestion)?

It's difficult to advise without knowing what format you want, what you require in terms of high speed, what sound facilities you require, how much experience you have in sound recording and film/video etc.

Best,
Helen

He did specify though. He said: "Price range isn't important as long as it does exactly what I like." :D

BTW, that XDCAM is a nice recommendation. :thumbup:

Off Topic:
Just wondering, are you driving a AE86? (Based on your name in the forum)

No, currently a Civic Si EP3. But saving for a twin turbo RX7 FC. Wouldn't mind having an AE86 for anime collector reasons though :D

What is your budget? You have made a pretty tall order there. If the versatile Red One (or similar) is outside your budget, how about a Panasonic DVX100B, or the remarkable Sony PMW-EX1 (which would be my main suggestion)?

It's difficult to advise without knowing what format you want, what you require in terms of high speed, what sound facilities you require, how much experience you have in sound recording and film/video etc.

Best,
Helen

Thanks for the info, ill check out each one and make a decision. As for Helen's comment I am not concerned about budget. Right now I am researching. Basically I plan to have a decently compact camera but prefer much higher quality then the typical video camera you get at best buy and such. It will be used to show very fast objects ranging from bird watching to race annalysis and cool effect shots. I am becoming an animator as well and need to work with high def shots with decent frame rates. The red.com site showed a camera with 120 fps and that will be just fine. My biggest concern however is the lack of quality in dark areas. As a lot of racing happens at night I want to be able to pick out fine details and not have a blurry pixilated image of things indistinguishable upon review. Ill check out in more detail all you have suggested. Thanks again for the info.

I'd definetly give a look to the Casio F1 12x Zoom lens, 60 fps at full resolution and pre-shutterpress capturing.

Good luck!

Most reactions

Back