e.rose

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.emilymcgonigle.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Never before have I been slightly offended by a compliment. :lol:

Someone was on my FB photography page yesterday and on one of my albums left that comment. "Nice snaps!!"

And my immediate reaction was to go, "SNAPS?! Nice SNAPS?! Dude... these are not SNAPS. I THOUGHT about these. K? Snaps... Yeah. I take "snaps" sometimes, but those are with my phone... or on fun casual outings... THESE, friend, are not SNAPS. Jerk."

:biglaugh:

And THEN........ I realized how ridiculous I was being and just said, "Hey thanks! :sillysmi: " ...freakin' *snaps*...

Sometimes, as irritating as certain verb-age can be, you just have to realize that people mean well.

Like, "WOW! You have a really great camera". They OBVIOUSLY mean, "Hey, you have worked really, really, hard to build up the skill set to be able to produce this magnificent of an image! Great job!" :er:

:lmao:

Terminology is variable, and what is a compliment to one, is an insult to another. But you should have ripped his head off just because you are an artist, with that artistic temperament! lol!

There should be a survival guide devoted to how you speak to an artist.

:lmao:

My fiancee was a hobbyist photographer .. I never knew anything about it at the time. She'd have loved this forum though. Tons of cool people here.

I've been learning a lot. :)

Well, you gotta remember: For the bulk of the non-Photographers out there, their taste is all in their mouth when it comes to photography. They just don't distinguish much between a "snap" and a masterpiece (which, of course, I'm certain lies closer to the mark in regard to YOUR photos...).

Back in February or so, I posted some pictures I'd gotten of some songbirds--photos that had taken months to learn HOW to accomplish, and then more time to sit for hours on end until I got THE shot for each bird, real National Geographic stuff, you know? :lmao: And my music minister comments and say something about how good the photos are, which was fine...but then he *immediately* sends me this cr*ppy, blurry cell-phone picture he'd taken of a pileated woodpecker (which you could barely even determine from the picture) and said something to the effect that he liked to do bird photography too.
"Dude--That's NOT Bird Photography, that's snapping a pic with your cell phone. You have NO idea what it took to accomplish these photos!! I mean, that'd be like me listening to you sing some really hard song and then saying, 'Yeah, I sing too' and singing "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star."

But like you, I chose NOT to share those thoughts with him, as it undoubtedly would not have been good for our choir relationship. :lmao:

I also had someone just a few weeks ago who said, in response to one of my better bird pictures: "I want two things: Your kind of camera, and your good luck." Yeah, because that's ALL that's involved with it. I just didn't respond to that at all. But the next day, my sister DID respond. She said: "I understand your sentiments, but I will tell you that I've been with Sharon on enough wildlife photo shoots that I know that her "luck" consists mostly in spending literally hours waiting for the birds to show up or get close enough to her and then the skills to be quick enough to actually catch them in a shot."
Go, Sis!!

I so can't wait to get on FB tonight and comment on your stuff!!

I was always impressed with what Cynthia did with a camera. I just never started learning what it takes until last year.

It's made me appreciate what she did even more, knowing what's involved.

I was a little annoyed by a comment made by an actual serious amateur photographer at a camera club. He saw two bound collections of my prints - the first was abstract stuff and the second more conventional stuff - and when he got to the second one he said: "now these look like photographs." I couldn't resist saying that they looked more like conventional photographs but that the others were legitimate photographs as well. He seemed slightly abashed by the whole thing, so now I feel bad for saying it, but what can you do?

Hehehe.. I told Cynthia once that it couldn't be that hard to take a picture. (I was actually messing with her)... but boy did she give me the evil eye. :lmao:

I was a little annoyed by a comment made by an actual serious amateur photographer at a camera club. He saw two bound collections of my prints - the first was abstract stuff and the second more conventional stuff - and when he got to the second one he said: "now these look like photographs." I couldn't resist saying that they looked more like conventional photographs but that the others were legitimate photographs as well. He seemed slightly abashed by the whole thing, so now I feel bad for saying it, but what can you do?

:roll:

People. ::shrugs::

:lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back