"Hey! Security! Can I have my Drone back"

I think it's already illegal to fly one over a stadium during a game/event because some already have crashed into stands during a game.

No such law exists that I know of. Its merely a suggestion by the FAA.

I'm not fluent in government-speak but it looks like they are not allowed, at least at some stadiums during events.
4/3621 NOTAM Details

FWIW, the County I live in is contemplating a UAV park near the Potomac River, outside of the 30-mile DCA no-drone zone.

Last edited:
I think the whole issue with drones is getting way out of hand. The vast majority of these devices are just childrens toys and bear no risk to anything other than the parents bank account.
Massive over reaction from the press has fueled the fires of legislators who are too happy to jump on a band wagon and be seen to be doing something. Sad to say the UK CAA has led the way in developing legislation against the evil drones Unmanned Aircraft | UK Civil Aviation Authority they are now actually talking about having approved operations manuals for any drone and "pilots" having to be trained and certified. Total and utter madness.
Commercial drones are big and childrens toys are small and the legislation makes only a passing reference to this fact. Imagine a 9 year old having to go through pilot training and certification to use his flying toy in his back garden.
Please remember that commercial aircraft engines have to pass testing for ingestion of hundreds of gallons of water and various objects like frozen chickens.
Chicken gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I fully recognise that some regulation is required but not the "all drones are death dealers" attitude that seems to be prevailing now.

There have been at least two times here it was on the local news that an air care flight was prevented from landing. I think that's a good reason for use of drones to be regulated - no injured person should be at risk of dying because the air care chopper can't land and get them transported to the hospital due to someone flying a drone trying to record footage of an accident.
Agree 100%, but something I don't get, and I mean this quite seriously is how can it? 30 seconds on YouTube will find hours of footage of the venerable old UH-1 taking off and landing in rice-paddies, swamps, desserts and a 100 other less-than-desirable locations, often while taking fire. If a 50+ year old aircraft can do that, it seems to me that a modern day aircraft should be able to deal with small pieces of plastic...

They are as sturdy, and as weak as those in my day. The problem is that a rather small and light object hitting the rotors or gimbal, or sucked into the intake of the turbo will bring them all down. A well placed .22 bullet would bring down any Viet era chopper. A bit of info back in '67( if memory serves) the lifespan of a chopper was around 90 days! And that of the pilot not much longer. Footage showing the shot up choppers and those landing in a hot zone successfully showed incidents that were not all that frequent. SO, dornes do not belong near helicopters. But like guns and fast cars and big trucks the danger lies in the operator, not the piece of machinery.

Why should he need to ask? It should be registered by now and security can now track him down by contacting Big Brother.

Registration isn't required until January 19th. Unless the drone was bought after December 21st but there's really no way of proving that.

I'm not fluent in government-speak but it looks like they are not allowed, at least at some stadiums during events.
4/3621 NOTAM Details

The NFZ over stadiums is more for broadcast rights than preventing drones from crashing into the stands. Networks pay big money for broadcast rights.

Registration isn't required until January 19th. Unless the drone was bought after December 21st but there's really no way of proving that.

You might want to check your calendar......... :048:

The NFZ over stadiums is more for broadcast rights than preventing drones from crashing into the stands. Networks pay big money for broadcast rights.

And who issues these NFZs?

You might want to check your calendar......... :048:

And who issues these NFZs?

Haha my bad, I thought that was an older story.

All airspace is controlled by the FAA.

It may be that it's to "protect" the commercial interests of the sporting organizations, but the no drone rules do exist.

Quoted from the FAA site (my link above) - emphasis is mine:

PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 99.7, SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS, COMMENCING ONE HOUR BEFORE THE SCHEDULED TIME OF THE EVENT UNTIL ONE HOUR AFTER THE END OF THE EVENT. ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS; INCLUDING PARACHUTE JUMPING, UNMANNED AIRCRAFT AND REMOTE CONTROLLED AIRCRAFT, ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN A 1410271420-PERM END PART 1 OF 3 FDC 4/3621 FDC PART 2 OF 3 SPECIAL 3NMR UP TO AND INCLUDING 3000FT AGL OF ANY STADIUM HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE PEOPLE WHERE EITHER A REGULAR OR POST SEASON MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, OR NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL GAME IS OCCURRING. THIS NOTAM ALSO APPLIES TO NASCAR SPRINT CUP, INDY CAR, AND CHAMP SERIES RACES EXCLUDING QUALIFYING AND PRE-RACE EVENTS. FLIGHTS CONDUCTED FOR OPERATIONAL PURPOSES OF ANY EVENT, STADIUM OR VENUE AND BROADCAST COVERAGE FOR THE BROADCAST RIGHTS HOLDER ARE AUTHORIZED WITH AN APPROVED AIRSPACE WAIVER.

If I am reading this correctly, remote controlled aircraft are prohibited from being flown 3 Nautical Miles (a little less than 3-1/2 miles) of any major league baseball or football and NCAA Division 1 (the bigger schools?) stadium with a seating capacity of 30,000 from an hour before a game, up to an hour after the game.

I guess open-air hockey, soccer, smaller schools and minor leagues are OK (at least in the US). I could see where you could get into some trespassing issues, depending on the location, but that's not the same thing as a NFZ.

As far as tomorrow's game, it looks like the NFZ is 32 miles. New FAA video explains that the Super Bowl is a No Drone Zone

Last edited:
Drones will be banned soon. Enjoy the surge in amazing technologies while you can.

using tapatalk.

It may be that it's to "protect" the commercial interests of the sporting organizations, but the no drone rules do exist.

Quoted from the FAA site (my link above) - emphasis is mine:

PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 99.7, SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS, COMMENCING ONE HOUR BEFORE THE SCHEDULED TIME OF THE EVENT UNTIL ONE HOUR AFTER THE END OF THE EVENT. ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS; INCLUDING PARACHUTE JUMPING, UNMANNED AIRCRAFT AND REMOTE CONTROLLED AIRCRAFT, ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN A 1410271420-PERM END PART 1 OF 3 FDC 4/3621 FDC PART 2 OF 3 SPECIAL 3NMR UP TO AND INCLUDING 3000FT AGL OF ANY STADIUM HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE PEOPLE WHERE EITHER A REGULAR OR POST SEASON MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, OR NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL GAME IS OCCURRING. THIS NOTAM ALSO APPLIES TO NASCAR SPRINT CUP, INDY CAR, AND CHAMP SERIES RACES EXCLUDING QUALIFYING AND PRE-RACE EVENTS. FLIGHTS CONDUCTED FOR OPERATIONAL PURPOSES OF ANY EVENT, STADIUM OR VENUE AND BROADCAST COVERAGE FOR THE BROADCAST RIGHTS HOLDER ARE AUTHORIZED WITH AN APPROVED AIRSPACE WAIVER.

If I am reading this correctly, remote controlled aircraft are prohibited from being flown 3 Nautical Miles (a little less than 3-1/2 miles) of any major league baseball or football and NCAA Division 1 (the bigger schools?) stadium with a seating capacity of 30,000 from an hour before a game, up to an hour after the game.

I guess open-air hockey, soccer, smaller schools and minor leagues are OK (at least in the US). I could see where you could get into some trespassing issues, depending on the location, but that's not the same thing as a NFZ.

As far as tomorrow's game, it looks like the NFZ is 32 miles. New FAA video explains that the Super Bowl is a No Drone Zone

Just a technicality here: What I own and use is defined by the FAA as an Unmanned Aircraft System.

So now the issue becomes whether the quoted 'code' applies to me.

Yes because it's an aircraft, the stadium NFZ applies to all aircraft not given the wavier.

What is the penalty if you're found guilty of navigation? "Reckless endangerment" seems a bit inappropriate; I'm sure he was being completely reckful.
I think they expel them all to Canada ?
Hey, what did Canada do to deserve them. I say expel them all to California. No one will notice there.

While I don't have any issue with someone protecting their privacy, I think allowing people to randomly discharge firearms in their back yards might be a little excessive. Granted, 12Ga pellets aren't all that large, but, what goes up, does come down. I think AA defense is something best left to the Armed Forces.
Yeah, it's not what I would call the proper and safe use of a firearm, but I did find the outcome interesting.

The Japanese may have something here. Tokyo Police to Deploy Net-Carrying Drone to Catch Drones

Most reactions

Back