Hi. New and Need Help. Thankyou!

Hi and welcome to the forum - I haven't been here that long either, but I find the advice I get here to be quite useful. I would agree with most of the advice you have been given. A few things for you to consider...you might want to pick up a copy of "Digital Photography for Dummies" - don't laugh, ;) when I moved from film to digital about 5 years ago, my wife bought me a copy and it was a great present on her part. It has a very good section on choosing your digital camera plus chapters on a lot of other things you should know and think about. Please don't rush out and buy a camera that you "like the look of"... You might also have a look at this site - Canon EOS Beginners' FAQ II - Cameras - it is aimed at Canon cameras (I'm a Canon guy), but a lot of the questions are of a general nature and can be applied to any make and model of any camera and it will give you some things to think about. One thing to remember - once you have committed to a camera whether it is Nikon,Canon, Minolta, Sony, or whatever, you will be pretty well committed to it for a long time as it is very difficult and expensive to move from one brand to another - lenses are expensive for DSLRs and generally not interchangeable between brands. It ultimately comes down to a few simple questions - What type of photography do you want to do and how much money are you prepared to spend on your hobby - $1500 for a camera is just the start (and a lot to start out with) - then there are lenses and filters and flashes and more lenses and filters and then there is the software for your computer - you are currently using GIMP, I do not know anything about this product, except that it is free and I have seen a lot of good comments on it - will it meet your needs a year or 5 years from now - who knows, but if you decide to go to something else, e.g. Photoshop Elements or Lightroom, then more $$ and a learning curve...the second last bit of advice I would give you, is do your research (homework), after all it is your money you will be spending (my assumption). Last thought, if you do go out and buy a DSLR camera and accessories, then you might want to consider having it insured. I have an all risks, anywhere in the world rider on my homeowner's policy that covers my camera equipment 24-7 for anything from theft to loss to dropping in water, etc., etc.

Hope this helps a bit. I wish you the best as you pursue your new hobby.

Cheers,

WesternGuy
thankyou so much! how nice!

ive taken it all on board.
also, i have photoshop (newest version) and seem to always go to gimp anyway.
i like how gimp is set up :)

In the meantime I have purchased A PENTAX OPTIO RS1000 14MP.
I like what I read, the samples I saw and feel it is a step (a little step at that) up from my Olympus.
I'm hoping to continue using both, AND Im hoping that the Pentax is better at taking Portrait photographs or I'm going to be saddened.
Now its time to save for a Canon :)

Most reactions

Back