Hi..newbie going to NY

allendehl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi friends,

I'm planning going to NY for Christmas and I'm taking my new Canon Rebel XT with me.
I'm totally new to photography and I'm reading lots of posts here.
This is what I've got:
Canon Rebel XT with a 18-55mm 1:2.5-5.6 that comes with the camera plus a 75-300mm f/4-5.6.

What lens & exposure setup would you recommend for shutting in NY at daylight & nights?...

What about taking some portraits to my wife ??

Any help is appreciated!

What lens & exposure setup would you recommend for shutting in NY at daylight & nights?...

What about taking some portraits to my wife ??

Any help is appreciated!

The ones that work. Not to be flip, but these are questions that really can only be answered on the spot at the time. As a general rule of thumb, you'll probably want a shorter FL (wider angle) for city shots, and longer for portraits. At night you'll generally want larger aperture (small f #) to admit more light.

Hi tiredion,

Thanks for answering. I know every photo depends on the moment and a lot of different conditions , but there are some general rules that usually apply.
Now I have some idea of how to start.

Thanks a lot!

nyc or ny state? we were just in nyc this weekend, and my advice? GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!! it was so packed with people we didnt even get to see the tree, or do the usual walking that we usually do when we're there. I couldnt take any pics as there were too many people.

nyc or ny state? we were just in nyc this weekend, and my advice? GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!! it was so packed with people we didnt even get to see the tree, or do the usual walking that we usually do when we're there. I couldnt take any pics as there were too many people.

Thanks Dionysus,

We'll be in NYC but our main reason is knowing the city. I haven't been there and everybody says it is worth it :)

I will try to make some nice newbie shuts though:mrgreen:

lol its an awesome city, in my opinion, any other time than the holidays. it is just way too congested for my taste, but then again thats why i live in the country, in upstate NY...so your mileage may vary :p

Most reactions

Back