Hi there! (photos included)

JPmkV

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Brand new to this forum and photography. I am looking forward to getting more into photography, and learning as much as possible. It seems like there is a lot of good information within this forum and its members :thumbup::D.
As of now I am shooting with my iphone :er:, my point and click canon, and an old 35mm Pentax slr. I am looking to get a canon 550d and as of now I am trying to figure out what kind of lenses would be best to start with.
I wanted to share some of my shots that I have taken with my iPhone and get a little bit of feedback :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Joey P.
On to my pictures. Just some random shots of my animals, girlfriend, skateboarding, and cars. C&C are always welcomed. :p

1.) Petey. (iphone)
6577238679_b4b3366f30.jpg

2.) Daisy, wanna play? (iphone)
6577236987_5359881823.jpg

3.) Harry & Courtney <3 (iphone)
6577238423_b58c85710f.jpg

4.) Daisy and Petey, stare down (iphone) re-edit, because this seemed to be the least favorite. Better?
6586015685_dc43b318c3.jpg

5.) Timmy P. @Brigantine skate park (iphone)
6577233067_b0ba3f8d2b_z.jpg

6.) Shot of my mkv gti in the cove (iphone)
6577233267_c0fc5f9fe6.jpg

I hope you enjoyed :thumbup:

Last edited:
#2 lacks by not showing the full pet, #6 lacks by showing too much sky and not enough the car since that was the subject

I like most of them, cool snapshots. Naturally they do show plenty of noise/artifacts.

I really like the one with the dog and the tennis ball.

Petey is one huge cat, wow.

#2 lacks by not showing the full pet, #6 lacks by showing too much sky and not enough the car since that was the subject
Thanks for the input. For some reason I really love that picture of my dog with the tennis ball. My reason for that perspective is that i thought it wasn't necessary to see all of her in the shot, the ball was more the subject, but I understand where you're coming from especially on what you had to say about the picture of my car.
I like most of them, cool snapshots. Naturally they do show plenty of noise/artifacts. I really like the one with the dog and the tennis ball.Petey is one huge cat, wow.
Thank you!What exactly do you mean by "noise/artifacts"?Also I think you're confusing Harry with Petey &#128521; Harry is laying with my girlfriend, he's a big boy! Petey is the one poking his head around the door, he's just a little guy haha &#128515;&#128077;

I love #2. I think your perspective, and risk of trying something extreme worked well. I realized the ball was the subject, and your crop makes the dog look like a giant. Props to thinking out of the box and trying something different.

I think the car image is cool as well, for the opposite reason. The crop makes the car diminutive, and suggests to the viewer to think about our place in a big, big world.

Overall, your images show that you are shooting with intent, and these are better than just documentary snapshots, for the most part.

The weakest one is #4.

I like most of them, cool snapshots. Naturally they do show plenty of noise/artifacts. I really like the one with the dog and the tennis ball.Petey is one huge cat, wow.
Thank you!What exactly do you mean by "noise/artifacts"?Also I think you're confusing Harry with Petey &#62985; Harry is laying with my girlfriend, he's a big boy! Petey is the one poking his head around the door, he's just a little guy haha &#62979;&#62541;

Regarding noise: The shots where you can see the sky you can make out the pixels. The sky's shades should be smoothly blending into each other. Heavy processing and the combination of tiny sensors will lead to the effect we see here.

Don't get me wrong, the use of grain/noise can be applied artistically of course and your images look good with it. I like to work with the least amount of noise possible that's probably why I noticed it.

Of course I meant Harry, so many names and I mixed up the titles of the images. At least I didn't call him Courtney... LOL.

Bitter is absolutely spot on. I didn't want to devalue your shots pointing out the technical aspects and as Bitter mentioned that breaking rules can be sometimes a good thing.

He elaborated why I like that shot as well. Really well done. I'd definitely make a print of that.

I love #2. I think your perspective, and risk of trying something extreme worked well. I realized the ball was the subject, and your crop makes the dog look like a giant. Props to thinking out of the box and trying something different.

I think the car image is cool as well, for the opposite reason. The crop makes the car diminutive, and suggests to the viewer to think about our place in a big, big world.

Overall, your images show that you are shooting with intent, and these are better than just documentary snapshots, for the most part.

The weakest one is #4.

Thank you for the compliments, and your elaborations of my shots! I am truly flattered. :D
I think it is my lack of technical knowledge in photography that really allowed me to think outside of the box. haha

Regarding noise: The shots where you can see the sky you can make out the pixels. The sky's shades should be smoothly blending into each other. Heavy processing and the combination of tiny sensors will lead to the effect we see here.

Don't get me wrong, the use of grain/noise can be applied artistically of course and your images look good with it. I like to work with the least amount of noise possible that's probably why I noticed it.

Of course I meant Harry, so many names and I mixed up the titles of the images. At least I didn't call him Courtney... LOL.

Bitter is absolutely spot on. I didn't want to devalue your shots pointing out the technical aspects and as Bitter mentioned that breaking rules can be sometimes a good thing.

He elaborated why I like that shot as well. Really well done. I'd definitely make a print of that.

I see what you're saying now. The image of my car was absolutely over processed. However, I no longer have the original image to go back and reedit :grumpy:. Thanks for the compliments as well :D. I did actually make a print of daisy with the ball, and I love it! I can't wait to get some better equipment, learn more about photography, and really begin to be a productive member of this forum!

Welcome! I'm new too!

Thank you very much! :D

Quick question for anybody out there; as I mentioned in my first post I am looking to purchase a DSLR camera, particularly a canon 550d. The pictures I shared in the OP is a good reflection of how I would be using my camera, so what type of lenses would you recommend for me to use?
This is the setup I have been thinking about picking up:
- Canon 550d
- Canon EF USM 85mm F/1.8 lens

Please correct me if you think there is a better combination for me. :thumbup:

Awesome photos if you ask me. The least interesting of the group is #4, its not bad...just doesn't have the artistic flair the other 5 have. Although it probably follows more of the technical "rules" people are so fond of talking about. For an iPhone with hipstamatic, these are awesome. Can't wait to see what you do when you step into the DSLR world! I like how you play with perspective in your compositions. In #2 you've got a 100 foot tall dog, in #6 you've got an entire car that could get lost under your foot. To me both are framed perfectly for what the image is saying, and I like the story they tell.

As for a lens, if I were you I'd get a 50mm 1.8 and the kit 18-55 that comes with the camera body. With the 550D's crop sensor you're going to be zoomed in pretty tight with an 85, you might find that limiting. Based on what I see here, shots #1-4 would all most likely be shot at a good portrait depth so the 50mm would be perfect for them, and shots 5 & 6 are much wider so the kit 18-55 that'll come with your camera zoomed out to 18 would give you a nice wide angle to go for that look.

these are really good coming from an iPhone. Now go and get a dslr so you can really shine! lol

nice photos with an iPhone!

Thank you :mrgreen:

Awesome photos if you ask me. The least interesting of the group is #4, its not bad...just doesn't have the artistic flair the other 5 have. Although it probably follows more of the technical "rules" people are so fond of talking about. For an iPhone with hipstamatic, these are awesome. Can't wait to see what you do when you step into the DSLR world! I like how you play with perspective in your compositions. In #2 you've got a 100 foot tall dog, in #6 you've got an entire car that could get lost under your foot. To me both are framed perfectly for what the image is saying, and I like the story they tell.

As for a lens, if I were you I'd get a 50mm 1.8 and the kit 18-55 that comes with the camera body. With the 550D's crop sensor you're going to be zoomed in pretty tight with an 85, you might find that limiting. Based on what I see here, shots #1-4 would all most likely be shot at a good portrait depth so the 50mm would be perfect for them, and shots 5 & 6 are much wider so the kit 18-55 that'll come with your camera zoomed out to 18 would give you a nice wide angle to go for that look.

Thanks for the complements, encouragement, and information. I am very much looking forward to getting a DSLR as soon as possible :thumbup::mrgreen:. As for the equipment you recommended, thanks for breaking it down as to how each one would best suite my shooting style. I am learning more and more with each day, mostly thanks to people like you who are willing to take the time to share their knowledge :D.

Quick question for you...
You mentioned something about the crop sensor on the 550D. Would you recommend a different body with that same lens setup?

these are really good coming from an iPhone. Now go and get a dslr so you can really shine! lol

Haha, thank you! Saving up for a nice DSLR as we speak! :thumbup::mrgreen:

Those are very cool pictures. :)

Thank you! :D

I also wanted to mention what i would like to get out of a lens...
For things like portraits I would love to have a lens that produces a nice strong/smooth bokeh. When reading up on some different lenses I found comparisons between canon's 50mm f 1.8 and f 1.4. The 1.4 seemed to produce the a better/smoother bokeh than the 1.8, however, it costs much more money. What do you guys think?
If I am being to critical or over thinking this, please just let me know ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back