Hi.

CMT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.blackredgold.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't know why it's taken me so long to make this thread, given that I have been lurking and reading this wonderfully informative forum for a good long time now. My name is Chris, I have been interested in Photography since 1998 when I picked up my first digital camera, a 1 Megapixel Sony FD-91, and started shooting cars at the local autocross. I used to walk around with my pockets stuffed with floppy discs because that was the media it needed....those were the days. :D

I upgraded to a 5 Megapixel Sony DSC-F707, and was able to stop carrying all those floppies. My pictures also got a lot better, but the 707 is so good that it really was tough to take a bad picture, and I admit that I didn't learn very much using it. I still have this camera as a backup, and it always comes through when I need it.

Since I left college, my passion has been automotive photography. I worked briefly with a shop in Connecticut providing them with media support for their World Challenge Touring Car car effort. I shot with their D70, cutting my teeth on a real dSLR, started experimenting with various lenses, camera settings to control/achieve the motion effects I wanted, and finally, really learning the tenets of Photography that I missed using a point-and-shoot that did everything for me.

When I left the shop, I lost the D70. After shooting with a DSLR for the prior 6 months, and getting used to its speed, I couldn't go back to the 707. I was faced with the usual quandry - Nikon or Canon? I did not have any glass, so there was nothing to anchor me to Nikon, and I had the occasion to shoot a friends 1Ds MKII mated to a 24-70 f/2.8L, and I was hooked. I love that camera, but my budget did not allow me to go whole hog like that, so I bought a 20D and have been happy ever since.

That was about three years ago, and I have had time to explore my space with the 20D, and also get my hands on friends' cameras. I have a 5D on loan from a friend's collection that I took out to Santa Barbara to shoot a BMW-only enthusiast auto show, but I still use the 20D when I am at the track. I now live about 45 minutes from Lime Rock Park, and go there to shoot whenever there is a big race, or driver's event, so the 20D gets a pretty constant workout. :D

I don't have too many lenses, but the ones I have suit my needs perfectly. I recently sent my 17-85mm kit lens down the road to help fund my aquisition of the 24-70 f/2.8L, a lens that I have wanted since I first used it on the 1Ds waaay back in the day. I use an older 80-200 f/2.8L for track pics, as the cropping factor on the 20D gives me some great reach to get the shots I want.

Here are a few track pics. Forgive the watermarks, as they show the site that I was shooting for at the time:

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p7.jpg

p9.jpg

p12.jpg

p13.jpg

p16.jpg

l19.jpg

l21.jpg

l25.jpg

l31.jpg

l35.jpg

l60.jpg

l63.jpg

l65.jpg

l68.jpg

l41.jpg

l42.jpg

l45.jpg

l46.jpg

l55.jpg

l56.jpg

l58.jpg

m1.jpg

m6.jpg

m4.jpg

m11.jpg

m16.jpg

Can you tell I am in love with this GT3 RS?

Thanks for checking out the thread!

welcome :)

nice shots

nice cars .. and so many of them German ;) :)

When I was out in Santa Barbara, I shot a bit with the 5D coupled to another friend's 14mm f/2.8L. This lens is cool, and made a lot of shots possible that otherwise would not have happened. I didn't use it much at the show because I relied upon the 24-70, but I did take a few with the 14mm back at a friend's house. :D

b79.jpg

b80.jpg

b81.jpg

b84.jpg

b85.jpg

b86.jpg

welcome :)

nice shots

nice cars .. and so many of them German ;) :)

Thanks a lot man!

It's one of my other afflictions. Between the Photography hobby, a passion for Horology, and my love of German cars, I remain in a state of constant brokeness. :D

The first time I shot with the 5D was immediately after a track day at Lime Rock. A friend, who is a big Porsche collector, had just received his new GT and I had the 5D thrust on me and was told to get some shots. Luckily enough the controls on the 5D are extremely similar to the 20D, with a lot more control over the ISO - I was able to get the "job" done without disappointing anyone. :D

I really like the 5D/24-70 combo:

exp3.jpg

exp4.jpg

exp6.jpg

exp8.jpg

p4.jpg

p28.jpg

p23.jpg

p22.jpg

p2.jpg

p14.jpg

p10.jpg