High gamut monitor issues

rexbobcat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so I pulled the trigger on a laptop. It wasn't the Dell that I was looking at because of issues with funds and whatnot.

But the laptop that I did get does have a nice 15.3" 1080p 95% NTSC monitor. The monitor is awesome. I calibrated it and it looks great.

However, it does have some issues (which I kind of expected) with color management. The colors themselves are great. I can literally see the difference when I change an image from AdobeRGB to sRGB, while on my other monitor it's fairly indiscernible unless I upload an image to the web in AdobeRGB and then it's obvious.

The colors seem to be more washed out on this monitor or less saturated, which is opposite of what most people say. Typically sRGB images would seem gawdy on a higher gamut monitor. Does anyone know how to help correct this, or is it just one of the quirks of having such a monitor? I mean, it will be great for print, but for uploading to web I can't always trust what I see on the screen.

lol So I changed the setting in color management in Windows to display the sRGB color space and it seems to be correctly rendering images as they would appear on other devices.

I think that might have fixed it since I'm not printing many things right now so I don't really need the extra color information. If anybody has anything else to add, though, please share.

Most reactions

Back