High Key second curtain skate pic

Scurra

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This shot I took a while back using the second curtain flash technique, I don't think I've posted it before so tell me what you think.

skater.jpg

:wink:

What's the second curtain flash technique?
Also, why is the skateboarder all in focus and still but the surroundings are all blurred and sort of look double exposed?

the second curtain flash technique is where you take a long exposure but set the flash to fire at the end of the exposure rather than the start, the effect you get is the light trails behind whatever you are shooting and then when the flash fires a crisp image of the subject.. It's quite fun but can be a pain to get right.

Meysha said:
What's the second curtain flash technique?
Also, why is the skateboarder all in focus and still but the surroundings are all blurred and sort of look double exposed?

You've answered your own question. Second curtain flash means using a long exposure time (hence the blurring) with a flash at the END of the exposure, to the subject is bright and in focus (because to the short flash time) with a blured trail behind him.

I'm not keen on this photo for three reasons (sorry, sledge hammer coming out here)

1 - I think the exposure was too long
2 - I think the bright light behind the boarder is really distracting
3 - I'm not sure why, but my eye keeps being drawn to the stuff in the lower left & right corner of the picture, distracting form the subject.

I think it would look better if it was taken with a shorter shutter speed, from a slightly higher angle so that the ramp doesn't interfere and get blown out and the floodlight can be eliminated.

Ahhh yes. My little digital camera does that. It's great for taking pics of people at night time. It leaves the shutter open so the background gets enough light then fires the flash to expose the people.

lol no probs andy I could use the advice anyway :)

It's low key, Scurra.

I like it. I do focus on the guy last because he's so dark but that's why I like it. I like the movement it contains and then the skateboard lets me know where it was taken. So the opposite of Andy. Isn't photography odd.

ferny said:
It's low key, Scurra.

I like it. I do focus on the guy last because he's so dark but that's why I like it. I like the movement it contains and then the skateboard lets me know where it was taken. So the opposite of Andy. Isn't photography odd.

what he ^ said :thumbup:

I really like it, although I think that you should crop the top to get rid of that light (at least some of it). That would also put the skater's back up near the top of the frame giving a greater sense of height. The casual, but off balance, pose of the skater is great with the motion lines/blurs and how the ramp looks like a wave.

im with ksmattfish - the light above is very distracting - strange shot, but i like it-:)

Most reactions

Back