High megapixel shows flaws?

Why do everyone think that higher megapixels means higher diffraction or higher motion blur?
Uh, not everyone thinks that.

I definitely prefer resolution over contrast, it gives me more dynamic range.
Oh? What makes you think that resolution gives you more dynamic range?

Okay, sorry my words again. It's not everyone. And won't higher contrast give less dynamic range? That's why I like flare, because I can turn the blacks super high without clipping.

This sorta dovetails into the D4 vs. D800 question which I've been struggling with... I'd be particularly interested to hear Helen and Chris' thoughts on that if they would be so kind.

And yes, I know there are all sorts of different features and such, but one of my friends has been basically berating me as an idiot for buying a D4 because I could "simply downsize the image and get the same effective ISO handling and image quality as the D4 for 1/2 the cost." I get where he's coming from with this argument, but it seems with the larger photosite on a D4 I'm going to get a better quality image, and it further seems that post-processing to down-size is going to be making interpolations of some kind or another, and that is less than ideal.

If this is too thread-jacky I can re-post it but it seems a pretty logical extension of the conversation.

This sorta dovetails into the D4 vs. D800 question which I've been struggling with... I'd be particularly interested to hear Helen and Chris' thoughts on that if they would be so kind.

And yes, I know there are all sorts of different features and such, but one of my friends has been basically berating me as an idiot for buying a D4 because I could "simply downsize the image and get the same effective ISO handling and image quality as the D4 for 1/2 the cost." I get where he's coming from with this argument, but it seems with the larger photosite on a D4 I'm going to get a better quality image, and it further seems that post-processing to down-size is going to be making interpolations of some kind or another, and that is less than ideal.

If this is too thread-jacky I can re-post it but it seems a pretty logical extension of the conversation.

The D4 is likely to have 1 stop more dynamic range than D800. D800 would have similar noise performance with D4. But looking at the price, the D4 seems to have more RnD/material put into the camera (remember how good the D3x is even though it's older than D3s?). If you're worried (when you shouldn't be), then you don't need to downsize the image, just print at a higher DPI.

If you have the money, buy the D4 and D800E. Or not, buy the D800 only. The only thing you'll sacrifice in D800 is FPS, built-in vertical grip and slightly better build quality (and of course, other tid bits). File size won't be an issue. Computer hardwares are very cheap nowadays, even if you don't want to upgrade your computer, you could always use the smaller JPG setting if you shoot JPG or convert them to a smaller DNG if you shoot RAW.

Last edited:
And won't higher contrast give less dynamic range?
Dynamic range in digital cameras is an analog limitation of the image sensor.

The upper limit of dynamic range is determined by the sensor saturation value, and the lower limit of the dynamic range is determined by the noise floor value.

And won't higher contrast give less dynamic range?
Dynamic range in digital cameras is an analog limitation of the image sensor.

The upper limit of dynamic range is determined by the sensor saturation value, and the lower limit of the dynamic range is determined by the noise floor value.

But if the image from the lens is less contrasty, wouldn't it mean the sensor don't need as much dynamic range to capture the picture without blown highlight compared to a much more contrasty lens?

Consider the lens as a noise floor. Also consider a lens as only sometimes being not contrasty. For the most part unless you're shooting into a lightsource so bright that it is impossible not to blow the highlight you won't have any contrast issues.

Most reactions

Back