High Power Zoom Macro

edouble

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am searching for a macro high power zoom lens for under $1000. Any suggestions? This will be mounted on my Nikon D5000. I have been researching this for awhile now but I want to hear what everybody has to say. This will be used as a multipurpose lens in fair/good lighting.

Thanks

That's not a zoom though. True macros don't come in zooms....macros are prime...pick the focal length you want and go from there.

Do you mean like Canon's 1-5x Macro lens
EOS (SLR) Camera Systems - Macro - Macro Lens - MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo - Canon USA Consumer Products

or a long variable focal length lens with good macro capability ?

That's not a zoom though. True macros don't come in zooms....macros are prime...pick the focal length you want and go from there.

For example, this is a lens I have been looking at AF18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro; Tamron USA, Inc.

Do you mean like Canon's 1-5x Macro lens
EOS (SLR) Camera Systems - Macro - Macro Lens - MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo - Canon USA Consumer Products

or a long variable focal length lens with good macro capability ?

For example, this is a lens I have been looking at AF18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro; Tamron USA, Inc.

Macro Magnification Ratio 1:3.5 (at f=270mm, MFD=0.49m) Isn't Macro. It's close up but not macro. Macro is generally considered to be a 1:1 or larger magnification.

I am looking for a multi purpose lens with near macro focusing distances but also with zoom capabilities.

I am also looking at NIKKOR AF-S DX 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II

I have been looking at AF18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro; Tamron USA, Inc.
I am also looking at NIKKORAF-S DX 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II
What would the Tamron Di-II 17-270mm f/3.5-6.3 VC, the Sigma DC 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 OS or the Nikon AF-S DX 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G VR super-zoom lenses do that your two existing lenses (AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR and AF-S DX 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR?) cannot do better?

If you want to focus on closer subjects with your 55-200mm lens, you could add a set of extension tubes.

Last edited:
To suit my needs as a multi purpose lens. I would think the optics would be better with the Nikon 18-200 as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links, this is exactly why I posted. I appreciate other photographers advice!

I am looking for a multi purpose lens with near macro focusing distances but also with zoom capabilities.

I am also looking at NIKKORAF-S DX 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II

Such lenses are almost impossible to design, Too many conflicting requirements.

OP, What is the main reason you look for the new lens? Is it because the current lenses you have cannot do what you like to do? Or you are just looking for convenience. (one lens fit all type case)

OP, What is the main reason you look for the new lens? Is it because the current lenses you have cannot do what you like to do? Or you are just looking for convenience. (one lens fit all type case)

Exactly, one lens does it all. I also have a Nikkor 35mm prime that I use in low light conditions. Technically it isn't difficult to switch out lenses. Just looking to see whats out there. If I wanted to improve image quality then I guess I need to step up to a FX body but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Exactly, one lens does it all. I also have a Nikkor 35mm prime that I use in low light conditions. Technically it isn't difficult to switch out lenses. Just looking to see whats out there. If I wanted to improve image quality then I guess I need to step up to a FX body but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

The problem with one lens fits all it that one lens reallyvcan't do all. Zoom lenses by their very nature are a compromise. A good quality prime is always going to be sharper that an comparable zoom lens. The wider the zoom range the greater the compromise between convenience and image quality. Is it technically possible to make say an 18- 200, 18-300 constant f2.8 lens. Yes. Is the price for the lens going to be astronomical. Absolutely. If you think the 70-200 f2.8 is expensive, you could expect to pay 3,4, maybe 5 times that amount for and 18-200 f2.8 with excellent image quality. There isn't a substantial market for such a lens.

It comes down to what is more important to you, convenience or image quality. You have to decide that for yourself what you want and what you are wiling to spend.

Most reactions

Back