Hiking with Waterfalls | State Park

waday

Do one thing every day that scares you
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The wife and I hiked around Ricketts Glen State Park this past weekend--specifically the Falls Trail System. The Falls Trail has 21 waterfalls--some big, some small. I think the biggest is around 90-feet. While I had my tripod attached to my backpack, I hardly used it. It was such a nice time, I didn't want to spoil it by making my wife wait while I set up for pictures. :confused: (For the record, she would have been fine with it.)

Only used the tripod twice: for a picture of both of us in front of one fall and for another picture of a very small 'waterfall' (probably not classified as a waterfall) with a bridge in the background (see #3 below).

The trail is very well maintained. It was rated by the state park as 'most difficult' of their trails, but we found it to be pretty easy. There were some pretty big steps and lots of wet/slippery walkways next to some drop offs, so we understood their rating.

I did spot another photographer getting a 'proper' shot with tripod in the rocks/stream. Show off. ;)

Anyways, we had a great time. C&C always welcome and appreciated (but I may have posted too many for proper C&C). :)

If anyone is in the area and is interested in that trail, I can definitely give some good feedback on timing, how to hike it (i.e., which direction), where to park, and when to hike it. We were the fourth car in the lot when we got there, and we were probably the 40th car when we left. The more treacherous side was more populated, but we enjoyed the less populated side better--probably because we were alone with nature, rather than with a bunch of people and kids.

Falls 1 TPF.jpg

Falls 2 TPF.jpg

Falls 3 TPF.jpg

Falls 4 TPF.jpg

Very nice! They make me wish I could be there.

Hi Wade,

Looks like a great area for hiking and getting in touch with nature.
Photos 1&3 have lots of potential. Looks like maybe stopping the lens down more (would like to see more detail) and a bit more saturation and contrast.
Wondering if what I'd like to see is different than what the scenes really looked like to you. Maybe try bringing the overall exposure down a bit.

How cool is it to spend time hiking with your Wifey in a place like that!

Thanks! It's a gorgeous area!

Hi Wade,

Photos 1&3 have lots of potential. Looks like maybe stopping the lens down more (would like to see more detail) and a bit more saturation and contrast.
Wondering if what I'd like to see is different than what the scenes really looked like to you. Maybe try bringing the overall exposure down a bit.

Thanks! Was absolutely amazing spending time with the wife there! Would recommend it for everyone!

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking with such high apertures... Must have been the clean air, haha. I'll play with them tonight and see about bringing the exposure down a tad. It's also funny that you mention that, because I actually brought the exposure up a tad in post, then got in a heated debate with myself over whether or not it was better with the higher exposure, than decided to leave it higher. :confused:

Thanks! It's a gorgeous area!

Hi Wade,

It's also funny that you mention that, because I actually brought the exposure up a tad in post, then got in a heated debate with myself over whether or not it was better with the higher exposure, than decided to leave it higher. :confused:

Haaa, glad you struggle with that too. I ran into a guy recently that prefers to underexpose most of his shots a bit. It's become his style and I rather like it, although it's mostly birds/wildlife.

I always lose the heated debates with myself, how do you fair? :)

Haaa, glad you struggle with that too. I ran into a guy recently that prefers to underexpose most of his shots a bit. It's become his style and I rather like it, although it's mostly birds/wildlife.

I always lose the heated debates with myself, how do you fair? :)
My interest has been piqued. I'll have to do this tonight!

I always lose the battle, because I never think my images are good enough, haha. But, my debates with myself usually end with my wife walking by and saying, "hey, that's a nice picture". So, I keep it at that. Haha. :D

Love #3. #2 I think needs another tree. Just one more. I can still see the forest in this shot. Lol
You know, those darn trees kept getting in the way of my shots. :p Thanks!

Last edited:
Yessssss. For me #1 edit is perfect. #2 edit in the trees is perfect; I would lighten up the bottom 3rd to the original - where you can still see rocks beneath the surface of the water. :biggrin-93:

Yessssss. For me #1 edit is perfect. #2 edit in the trees is perfect; I would lighten up the bottom 3rd to the original - where you can still see rocks beneath the surface of the water. :biggrin-93:
Thanks! Ok, I'll have to lighten the bottom..
image.jpg

Great set, I like #1 the best! :)

Most reactions

Back