Hit me with your iPad/iPhone/Apple rants...

TheLost

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
cynicaster;3095672 This seems to be the stock apologist answer whenever “unhip” people like me express bewilderment at the glass-ceiling limitations of the iPad. Here we have a device that: [LIST said:
[*]Is light and portable
[*]Has several GB worth of storage capacity
[*]Has a brilliant high-res display
[*]Has decent processing power
[*]Costs 700 f#*king dollars
[/LIST]

… yet, I’m supposed to accept—apparently, just because some marketing stiff at Apple says so—that it’s an unreasonable expectation that I should be able to pop a card full of photos into the device and review/store my work, without having to buy any kind of add-on accessory.

I find it absolutely absurd that I have to accept that I “just don’t get it” when it comes to a device that has pretty much always been a solution looking for a problem. Here we have a very simple problem, yet the iPad provides no solution… at least not natively.

I know, I know… “but not everybody cares about photography, blah blah”. That is true, but it’s also true that you don’t need to be a photographer to see the benefit in being able to transfer media to and from the device without needing a “cloud” and without being forced to slog through the wretched agony of iTunes.

I have an iPad, by the way, but I got it before I really got into photography 2 years ago. It sure would have been nice to be able to use the iPad as part of the hobby, but I guess I “just don’t get it” and the actual raisons d’etre of $700 Apple tablets are Facebook, Angry Birds, and eBooks.

First you need to set your expectations... Take a look at this image:
http://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/RlBSDZOgevYacnaI.huge

What you see in that image is the logic board of an iPad (the iPad Mini Retina to be exact). It happens to also be very close to the guts of an iPhone (the iPhone 5s). It actually uses the CPU/GPU of the iPhone.

[edit] Image of an iPhone 5s logic board..
http://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/kPd1SGHTq12IUsRv.huge

Did you know the iPad has less internal memory then other tablets? less CPU power? Less almost everything... Yet it offers a smoother user experience then any other tablet (Android or Surface **)

Apple set limits on what the iPad can do in order to give you the things that make the iPad what it is. I don't agree with the argument that it needs to do more. If YOU need to do more then you should get a computer/notebook.

Its a change in philosophy... that's why they called it a 'Post PC' device.

Hit me with your augments!!!

Disclaimer: I am a software developer. I hold a few Microsoft Certifications, I have apps in both the Android Marketplace and the Apple iOS App store. I was a contractor at Apple back in early 2000's before S.Jobs came back. I don't consider myself an 'FanBoy'.

** Fact: iOS is tuned to give the user a smooth UI. The second you touch the screen it moves all 'power' to graphics rendering. Android and Microsoft don't do this. The entire point of iOS (much to the dismay of developers like myself) is to give the user the best experience.

Last edited:
Apple set limits on what the iPad can do in order to give you the things that make the iPad what it is. I don't agree with the argument that it needs to do more. If YOU need to do more then you should get a computer/notebook.
Hit me with your augments!!!

The bottom line is that if I'm paying $700+ (!!) on an electronic gadget in the year 2013, then I'll be the judge of whether or not it provides adequate capabilities for my money, not some suit at Apple trying push his "post PC revolution" nonsense. As I already said in the other thread, I am going to replace my iPad with something else, but no, it won't be a computer or netbook. It'll be another tablet... but it'll be one that provides obvious capabilities that I expect it to have; capabilities that are logical, inexpensive, and well-known to be technologically possible.

Others might have stuff to add, but I have nothing more to really say on this topic, as it has "IBTL" written all over it. I'll pass, have fun.

Sounds like you didn't buy the right product for you. I bought my wife one when they first came out and we wound up getting rid of her laptop because she doesn't need it anymore.

Different people have different needs. You won't find one product that fits every single persons needs.

iPhones are the best on the market IMO. UI and app support are what make it the winner.

iPads are great for people who want a bigger phone to browse the web, play games and watch movies. It's an entertainment tablet.

Right now if I had to buy a tablet COMPUTER, I'd get a Microsoft Surface. Can run office, can support external devices and much more.

It's all about finding a product to meet your needs.

bought myself an ipad a while back outright, does what I need it to do and its pretty swish showing your portfolio / website on your ipad rather than lugging around a huge 'folio case!

will be getting either an imac or a macbook pro to accompany the ipad, but never to replace, and for a phone I use a blackberry, Email, texting, & phonecalls. a businessman needs no more :) all my needs are met.

Everything is built with a purpose to fill a specific need, if you find what you're looking for or Know what you're looking for theres never any need to be approached by a salesman with some long spiel.

Runnahs words are Golden ~It's all about finding a product to meet your needs.~

I bought an iPhone 4 in the summer of 2011. It has worked flawlessly since then. I have no significant issues with it..... Good battery life, still works.

Apple products are gearing up towards a complete shift, I believe.

Into GAMING.

Yep, gaming.

Why? Well let's think.

Apple already have the biggest market share of tablets and smartphones (although recently overtook by android, I believe - but are clawing back with the 5c). Their desktops and laptops are also starting to outsell regular desktop and laptops. They want to blow Microsoft out of the water. Who didn't at one point! But let's be honest, everybody has their place.
But anyway. How do they do that? Silently.

Introduce a 64bit processor phone / ipad. Done.
Sure, looks great to the consumers. Super fast for browsing and those angry bird games.

But then, a new apple TV is scheduled to come out. also 64 bit processor.

You can hook the two of them up so easily - and not via this mirroring stuff, but PERFECTLY!

That gives you the opportunity to play games on the big screen, watch your netflix, hulu, lovefilm, crunchyroll(whatever that is) too!

Oh wait ... a wireless games controller & console (your iphone and apple tv), a video game store (app store) and BOOM, microsoft has just been beat hands down cos your controller + apple tv is more powerful that your xbox one, AND PS4!!!

that's another market to Apple and nobody saw it coming.

But anyway, I'm an Android user, but I'm interested in guessing where Apple is headed :)

Apple products are gearing up towards a complete shift, I believe.

Into GAMING.

Yep, gaming.

Why? Well let's think.

Apple already have the biggest market share of tablets and smartphones (although recently overtook by android, I believe - but are clawing back with the 5c). Their desktops and laptops are also starting to outsell regular desktop and laptops. They want to blow Microsoft out of the water. Who didn't at one point! But let's be honest, everybody has their place.
But anyway. How do they do that? Silently.

Introduce a 64bit processor phone / ipad. Done.
Sure, looks great to the consumers. Super fast for browsing and those angry bird games.

But then, a new apple TV is scheduled to come out. also 64 bit processor.

You can hook the two of them up so easily - and not via this mirroring stuff, but PERFECTLY!

That gives you the opportunity to play games on the big screen, watch your netflix, hulu, lovefilm, crunchyroll(whatever that is) too!

Oh wait ... a wireless games controller & console (your iphone and apple tv), a video game store (app store) and BOOM, microsoft has just been beat hands down cos your controller + apple tv is more powerful that your xbox one, AND PS4!!!

that's another market to Apple and nobody saw it coming.

But anyway, I'm an Android user, but I'm interested in guessing where Apple is headed :)

Steam OS, linux based that is all.

I use my ipad mini and a BT keyboard for note taking in class, meetings, etc. I love my iphone 5. Love my IPod touch. Love my MacBook Pro. BUT, I sometimes find myself envious of other devices, but it's too late. I'm too heavily invested in apple to move to anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like Apple products because they don't give you access to your own files. Th real reason I have nothing Apple though, is that I do not want iTunes slowing down my computer. I will admit though that their music player is much better than the one in my phone.

I bought an ipad before iPads were cool! :wink:

I would probably buy a MS surface now, but I have loved my ipad.

Ok, well there's a few reasons I don't particularly like Apple, or their products.

1. Apple's closed ecosystem - So I understand why, they want you to experiance their vision of their product but for someone like me who likes to make choices and customise their system it's a big downside that you can't as easily as with PCs. I also don't like the idea of any company having that amount of control over my system, and the way it constrains developers.

2. Compatibily issues - having to change filetypes can be a real pain, and if you don't catch the filetype choices on install it can take a while converting. Is also the simple things you do with android that aren't easily done in ios and you need to find workarounds for

3. Not upgradable unless you buy a whole new system - not really applicable to phone or tablets, but a major downside with a desktop

4. Attempts to "tie you in" to their products and services and makes switching - sure, nowadays it's not only apple that do this, but kinda like getting tied in to Canon or Nikkon. It's still really annoying and costly to switch.

5. Not a gaming rig - I mostly use my PC for gaming so for me it's a big deal. I want to be able to run the latest titles and get playable framerates. Apple are fine with apps like angry birds, not so much with the big titles like Crysis. Cost/performance is not good and in many cases pcs berform better for less cash as far as gaming is concerned. Also links in with upgradability.

Don't get me wrong, Apple are masters at brand building and their systems are very iconic. They are also great if you don't want to tinker with your rig and are happy with what Apple will provide. For me though it's just not a good option.

where in the world are you getting your info?

Phones:
94741-conspiracy-dunces-brief-survey-mobile-operating-system-distribution-screen-shot-2013-11-12-1-36-14-pm-600x342-png

PCs:

Of the five major PC makers in the United States, Apple was the only one whose shipments fell last quarter.

Tablets:
In the second quarter of 2012, iOS accounted for slightly more than 60% of the tablet OS market share, with Android at 38%. Twelve months later, the numbers have flipped. iOS shipments actually
SHRANK (in absolute numbers), while the Android market grew by 162%. Today, iOS accounts for 32% of tablet sales, and Android owns 62.6% of the market.

The bottom line is that if I'm paying $700+ (!!) on an electronic gadget in the year 2013, then I'll be the judge of whether or not it provides adequate capabilities for my money, not some suit at Apple trying push his "post PC revolution" nonsense. As I already said in the other thread, I am going to replace my iPad with something else, but no, it won't be a computer or netbook. It'll be another tablet... but it'll be one that provides obvious capabilities that I expect it to have; capabilities that are logical, inexpensive, and well-known to be technologically possible.

Others might have stuff to add, but I have nothing more to really say on this topic, as it has "IBTL" written all over it. I'll pass, have fun.

What tablet will that be?

I don't think it exists... I have Nexus tablets (10" & 7"), Surface Tablets, Kindle Fires... They all have weaknesses. There is no such thing as a perfect 'tablet'.

iPhones are the best on the market IMO. UI and app support are what make it the winner.

iPads are great for people who want a bigger phone to browse the web, play games and watch movies. It's an entertainment tablet.

Right now if I had to buy a tablet COMPUTER, I'd get a Microsoft Surface. Can run office, can support external devices and much more.

It's all about finding a product to meet your needs.

Surface can run office.. and it can use SOME external devices.. but it is a very disappointing device.

The non-pro version (Surface RT) flips into 'desktop' mode when you launch Office (and a few other apps).. While this gives you the impression that you are running a true windows device it is soooo misleading. Get used to this message because you'll see it all the time...

surface.jpg

(bad camera phone picture taken just for this post)

I had super HIGH hopes for Surface... but then i tried to use it exclusively for a month. ugggg..

The Surface Pro is slightly better but you still have Microsofts 'Metro' UI fighting you all the time and you are paying $$$$ for a fancy device that's trying not to be notebook while still being a notebook. IMHO you are better of with a cheaper 'ultrabook'.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back