CODYMAJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't mean to start the Android/Apple debate, but I am currently in the market for a new phone and would like to take into account the device I use everyday.

Do either provide more of a photography tool than the other? Whether it be access to certain apps, having better tools within, or anything that can be useful for photography.

I'm sure both have pro's and con's, and there might not be an answer, but if anyone has preference would you mind explaining why?

Note: I'm currently using the iPhone SE, fairly outdated compared to some newer technology

Huawei latest is the best camera phone.. iPhone have amazing camera but cannot compete, I have owned both, and Huawei is able to be used more for long expo / pro modes etc, iPhone as always and everything from apple, does what it says on the tin... I now use iPhone and MacBook Pro after many many years of android and Windows laptops, but I still think my Huawei with pro mode was able to achieve more than my iPhone can...

I honestly think the iphone takes subpar pictures.

I love my Pixel 3.

I wish it had a real portrait lens instead of using computography for portrait mode, although it really does a good job with digital zoom.

the extra wide selfie lens is nice.

night site is pretty amazing.

stabilization and focus tracking are very good.

Here's a recent shot I took with both my phone and camera:

IMG_20190210_095351
by Braineack, on Flickr

Google Pixel 3
this one was heavily cropped to get similar framing. Honestly, the Pixel 3 shot is better.

random city-line shot with Night Sight. notice the shutter speed -- it was hand held (resting the edge on a surface).

IMG_20190207_185935
by Braineack, on Flickr
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 4.4 mm
  • 1/5 sec
  • 159 ISO

another night sight comparison:

qaLfMwx6xSsrhc3I8Bs2agApChrKb342RmpgmCgyaFrj5agSW7Sqm4vvLAryU43t6kg5FmT4U5uAesLdG5WwQa49owdrEQKpwxZmTzAaRylgUs-wQs7wwreqdz9Iyu0gWiNY67pZ37mGm7V3_oZpJ11kAdxrBaaYZtw_o14a5B6VeTxRRURnB4ERKYOH2VUOJCzqE9qlJmhgA5JTUnt8otfsXY0RC6hP5XM3AtlKk5a2OylhDAJHT6-b6WuV7RLSRqxfFEJhnAvpRzFMnY0IRDrRWFzUju6n71iWjygws9hvBnOyxJ4VzMEvu7UE6uu-YZJRCjsexNyHxDKnGWUePOyMjuAbuieiqpY7QWjD8PyDF4fY3OBoE3UWhACxb89xXXXqUfHi9XNP-61whCPV8CuXNaWPHJDmr0kgcKLGQGssg_tSDVs29aNYAxuGwH_1CC9Ae_RpmVdhqpOfmP4-e5rjHyO87qerobaL0bEk5EdJrDTmHyrFmQMDYjvwxkXbDcMuSv8fFx3THqL4Ce_XCyiS30Orl_oLY2QUZTSNzDK4AG25bRCG8m-PFyJhvJrJb68nNDQd0GstvLp3JKZCRfIxh-jFiBpjpvso8fQj9WoxJZT9SNabwVRj_5472QlgE_H6uKjfoTijU16SeuGHk_DpePJ4M-U1q1rr-bysVR-4QPtrOiwHZygzY5FvAMA7JSm9QeqjGBeN3NsupayW44Y_dA=w1092-h819-no

straight out of camera pixel 3. Not as good, but not bad.

This shot with my D800 required HOURS of post-processing, and took multiple exposures with a tripod to hold it.

Merrifield Garden Center by Braineack, on Flickr

Last edited:
In low light, the iPhone dies, sure... sub-par I wouldn't agree. Huawei and Google have focussed on camera and it shows, The wife bought me a MacBook Pro for my birthday and I decided I might as well have a clean line across the board. I don't miss Android. All that customising, ROM changing, Tweaking... I just don't need it anymore. The wife is a keen mountaineer and her phone, in the last two groups (iPhone I bought for her) has been the only phone that did not fail, did not drain battery and did not suffer from the extreme cold and the pics she got were great.. Sony also have sick camera phones, But I just realise that my camera goes everywhere with me, I don't need a camera phone any longer, just something that does as I want.

I've shot my original Pixel side-by-side to my wife's iPhone X and the images from the iPhone were junk. Highly artifacted and processed junk when viewed at 100%. IMHO, it's pretty easy to spot an iphone image when pixel peepin.

I prefer the DR of the Pixel using HDR mode, and how it captures colors much better. However, I always feel the WB is on the cool side, which I always have to correct.

As a phone, I've never had to do anything custom on my phone, but I can actually customize the screen with useful widgets and not have to scroll through screens of app icons.

I've also never had to deal with the horrible Apple Store -- this should be a huge plus to anyone that's ever stepped into an Apple Store.

My wife always has something dumb happening to her phone that requires new update; she's constantly complaining about something not working, googles it, and finds out it's a known issues and has to wait for an update.

I've never experienced this. I've actually always been impressed with the integration to Google products/accounts -- appointments end up on my Calendars and even Google Maps, when I upgraded to the Pixel 3 all I had to do was sign in, and it automatically d/led all my apps and setup the phone exactly how my Pixel was.

I've always felt Apple products--especially the iPhones-- are over priced and under-speced with no perceivable personal benefit to me.

I will give iphone one big plus in terms of photography -- i forgot the app -- but a fellow photographer was showing me that with that app on the iphone, the user can select an ISO that's crazy low, like 0.00001 ISO. This would allow him to take long exposure shots during the middle of the day -- mimicking a ND filter. Not sure if it was a specific iphone version and/or app, but I thought that was really cool.

oh, I also really dislike the new panorama mode in the Pixel 3, the original interface/method to capture them was much better. Anytime I try it now, my images dont stay level and get distorted as it just captures as you pan. Previously it forced you to line the frame up with spots it displayed on screen and always worked very well. This has been highly disappointing to me actually.

timely:

Watch Samsung Unveil Its Next Galaxy Smartphones

Samsung Electronics Co. unveiled a $1,980 smartphone with a foldable screen, a dramatic shift in the mass market for phones.

The device has a 4.6-inch screen when used as a phone and can unfold into a tablet with a 7.3-inch screen, Samsung said Wednesday during a demonstration kicking off its Unpacked event in San Francisco.

The Galaxy Fold has six cameras across the back, front and inside the fold of the phone.

Really bad name choice, since there already exists a Ford Galaxy...

Thanks for the replies. This is helpful.

I have experienced both the good and bad with the iPhone responses which is why I am contemplating venturing out to unknown phone territory. I'm able to use my iPhone as a shutter release remote and I know that there is other apps for other gadgets and such. I think those will be universal across all (most) phones now.

It'll come down to the phone camera itself then :eyebrows:

The Apple may not be were its at but you then have to deal with android and his wife, kids, dogs, the dogs issues, et al,

My grandson now shows me up by pulling out his Leica (Huawei phone).

case in point: gmail updated on my wife's phone last night, now she's having trouble composing messages. seems to be a software glitch with the keyboard and the interface...

my gmail updated as well, and I can compose emails just fine....

Most reactions

Back