What's new

Hmm, any Leica experts here ?

dxqcanada3

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Dec 4, 2008
Messages
7,890
Reaction score
1,715
Location
Woodbridge, Ontario, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I posted on the Rangefinder forum about this ... but I thought I would give you all a shot (you all I mean those of you that are not on that forum) ...

Leica Barnack camera
Serial number 517xxxx (no mention of K)
Slow speed dial
Black curtains
Black top and base plate
Looks like nickel knobs

Is this a repaint or possibly original non-military post war version ?
 
Without photos no-one can help you realistically. There's to many digits, 517,XXX would be probably q IIIC from 1950.

Ian
 
Yeah, I figured pictures mean a thousand words ... the camera is in transit so I wont have it until a week or so.

Ah, typo on the serial number ... yes 517, XXX.
From the lists I have seen it does match a IIIC ... but I have not had any confirmation a black one was ever made (I do not think this is a grey one made for the military).
 
Been a lotta' years since a IIIc rolled off the line... as you can see by the several articles at camera quest.com, in some parts of the world painting and modification is very popular. There are in fact some amazing camera painters in Japan, and cameraquest has served as a sort of clearinghouse for people to get in touch with these world-renowned experts. As far as the knobs, it is a fairly trivial matter to have them plated in any finish that you would like.

Nickel, black nickel, chromium, gold, all these different finishes are fairly easily plated on.
 
Hmm, interesting images ... I think it may be a black IIIc that has been factory upgraded to a IIIf as it has a self timer and that chrome plate under the speed dial.
I will have to look for the "leitz-eigentum" printing.
 
Considering the serial number range that you gave I would watch out for a fake. I hope you did not pay an inordinate amount of money for this camera. Counterfeiters have had roughly 70 years to make good-looking fakes

Not trying to imply that this is necessarily a counterfeit, but imagine if it were a counterfeit made 50 years ago; as with all painted cameras over three or four decades they acquire a patina of age that can make them appear to be original. On Fresh repaints it is quite easy to spot a fake.
 
Not sure about the really well made comments, having a Leica IIIa as well as a few FEDs and Zorkis there's a world of difference in build quality and feel between them.

Ian
 
^ I'm not sure but I think there may be a part missing.
 
A lot better than a Zorki. At least it's a Leica. Congrats.

Photo?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom