Hmm the Polarizing or ND? Which to get

TJ K

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Alright so i'm going on vacation in a couple of weeks and want a filter. I will be taking lots of water shots up in the mountains. So it will mostly be creeks, waterfalls, and rivers.

Last time i went there was a bit too much light for super slow shutter speeds so I feel like I need a ND filter. But then again aren't polarizing filters good for water and really popping all the colors? I would like to get both but I will only get one good one like a hoya or B+W filter. I've never been a filter person or really even thought about them until recently.

I will also be renting a nikon 12-24 f/4 for the trip. I also will be bringing my 18-105, 35 1.8, and 70-200 2.8.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks everyone.
-TJ

ps. this is the the ND http://www.adorama.com/HY77ND8X.html

Last edited:
I don't know the filter thread diameters for all of those lenses, but I'm assuming that if you need to choose between ND or polarizer, then you're trying to get the most bang for your buck. Whatever you choose, I suppose you could buy the filter to fit the largest lens diameter and then add a step-up adapter ring to fit the other lenses.

For all around use, I would probably find the polarizer the most useful, as I like to shoot landscapes that include a fair amount of sky and/or water. Will you get much use out of an ND filter after your vacation? Can you shoot earlier or later in the day in order to harness slower shutter speeds?

Hopefully someone else chimes in...I too would like to read some opinions on this.

Last edited:
Generally, I use them both. The ND inside and the CPL outside that. Get the GOOD CPL and maybe a semi-decent ND. The CPL is more critical that the glass be of higher quality.

The polarizer is definitely the more versatile of the two, and itself provides a light reduction of between 1 1/3 and 2 stops depending on which one you get (B+W MRC will reduce by 1 1/3 stops). If you can only get one, get the CPOL, but don't buy any cheap filter, even and ND needs to be good quality; there's no point in hanging a cheap filter on the end of a $1000.00 lens to induce flare, ghosting and "interesting" colour casts.

Once I understood what was going on, I've used Hoya Pro1 Series and B+W for both ND and CPL. I would not suggest anything less than a multi-coated filter. There are other manufacturers such as Lee, Singh-Ray and ......, and.... crap, I forget the other one. (search for Steph as the member and 'filter' as the keyword).... 'ang on, it could be Hi-Tech.... anyways, do the search.

The CPL will give you a drop of ~1-1/2 stop of light. The ND filters are marked, but an ND8 is 3 stops. The CPL will enhance the blues and greens saturation and also give you control over the reflection on material such as water, wet green leaves & glass. The ND filter will only drop the amount of light entering your lens.

If I had to choose only one, it would be the CPL, hands down.

I was hoping you all wouldn't say that :D

The CPLs are so much more money haha. Now let's see if i can get together the 150ish it looks like it will be. grr
TJ

If it's any consolation, the 12-24mm and the 70-200mm lenses are both 77mm filter threads. This means you can buy one filter for two lenses, swap out as needed.

And you can always look to see if any used ones are available.

You need the 'slim' version for the 12-24mm to minimize vignetting at the short end of the lens. The slim version doesn't have threads for ganging another filter to it and it won't hold a lens cap.

I just bought a used, but pristine, 77 mm B+W MRC Slim CPL for $85, off another forum. It pays to keep your eye's peeled. :thumbup:

I just bought a used, but pristine, 77 mm B+W MRC Slim CPL for $85, off another forum. It pays to keep your eye's peeled. :thumbup:
That's about $100 cheaper than what I paid for my missing Slim B+W. I just replaced it with a Kaeseman standard rig. I rarely use the 12-24mm anymore these days and the 14-24mm doesn't accept a filter. The other brothers do though. :D

Yep the 77mm filter thing is what made me happy.

Then what you just told me about needing the slim version not so happy. What you said about not being able to put any other filters on the slim version say i was stacking more than one filter, would i be able to stick on like a regular ND filter and the slim could go right onto that no problem right?

Kundalini how do you like your 12-24? I want to save money wherever i can and i feel like i really want a lens for the trip wider than 18mm but also wasn't expecting a 150+ filter. I'm going to keep a look out for a cheaper filter and see what i can do about the lens. At this point i'm not sure which is more important. I'm leaning on the lens at the moment but in a crappy situation.

TJ

Kundalini how do you like your 12-24?
It ain't too bad on a cropped body.

668703752_bJUJE-XL.jpg

611834790_9bW7d-XL.jpg

613481172_byCMn-XL.jpg

791666682_ddxx3-XL.jpg

I'm not 100% sold on the Slim, but then again that's all I used on the 12-24mm. If I can think about it, I'll do a a shot or two with a standard on the 12-24mm for comparisons.​

Kundalini how do you like your 12-24?
It ain't too bad on a cropped body.

668703752_bJUJE-XL.jpg

611834790_9bW7d-XL.jpg

613481172_byCMn-XL.jpg

791666682_ddxx3-XL.jpg

I'm not 100% sold on the Slim, but then again that's all I used on the 12-24mm. If I can think about it, I'll do a a shot or two with a standard on the 12-24mm for comparisons.​

Thanks a lot man:grumpy: Now i HAVE to BUY this lens haha! Those pictures are stunning, really great examples of what you get form a wide angle. I think i'm just going to go with the 12-24 rental for the trip and the filter at another time. Hows that sound? Were any of those with a filter? Thanks a ton!
TJ

Where you ever able to do that test? thanks!
TJ

Most reactions

New Topics

Back