HOA Horror Stories

HOAs are a double-edged sword. They are definitely good, but they can also be really bad, as well (as indicated here!). It sounds like there was already some animosity between the owners and the HOA in some of these cases.

Not knowing the size of these communities, I actually agree with certain ones (namely no flag poles, no political signs). I'm on the fence with certain other ones, but it really depends on how the community is set up (single family homes vs townhouses vs condos).

I'm confused; how does a private, non-judicial/government entity have the authority to levy fines????

I'm confused; how does a private, non-judicial/government entity have the authority to levy fines????
It probably has something to do with the amount of paperwork you sign and agree to when moving into a community with an HOA. Although, I do wonder the legality of it.

My HOA will often threaten fines, but I'm only aware of one time where they actually gave one out. (It was to a family that never cleaned up after their two dogs and pig, so I'm glad they got fined and eventually moved away, lol.)

Same way any contract does. Both parties agree to it.

Same way any contract does. Both parties agree to it.
Simple agreement doesn't make it enforceable. I could agree to give up my first-born child if I default on a loan payment, but that wouldn't be enforceable. Not arguing, just curious.

But charging fees for failure to comply with the terms of a contract are enforceable, even between private parties. Bounce a check and the bank dings you for fifty bucks. Pay your electric bill 2 weeks late and get charged 15 clams. Leave an apartment at the end of your lease and it's a pigs sty, lose your cleaning deposit.

Somewhere along the line you agreed to those terms.

But charging fees for failure to comply with the terms of a contract are enforceable, even between private parties. Bounce a check and the bank dings you for fifty bucks. Pay your electric bill 2 weeks late and get charged 15 clams. Leave an apartment at the end of your lease and it's a pigs sty, lose your cleaning deposit.

Somewhere along the line you agreed to those terms.
Granted, but those are fees for service whereas if i choose to paint my porch purple, there is nothing against which to levy a service fee.

Granted, but those are fees for service whereas if i choose to paint my porch purple, there is nothing against which to levy a service fee.

Unless your agreement states so. Belonging to an HOA doesn't mean you 'just go to meetings'. There's usually a written agreement you sign in order to take possession of the property. If the agreement prohibits purple porches, it will state such.

Most reactions

Back