Hobby Photog Looking for 50mm

supraman215

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm an entry level hobby photographer I take mostly pictures of my daughter who is 22 months old. I dabbled with photography and developing when I was in high school. I just got a D90 for Christmas from my loving wife and have taken probably 500 pics with it already.

DSC_0361.JPG

What I really want is a nice fixed 50mm lens.

Questions:

1. I read in my manual for my camera though that you should multiply the focal length by 1.5x to get the 35mm film equivalent. Is that correct? If so does that mean if I want a portrait lens I should go for a 35mm?

2. Looking at these 2 50mm lenses
Nikon | Normal AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Autofocus Lens | 1902 | B&H

Nikon | Normal AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Autofocus Lens | 2137 | B&H

Is the faster lens worth the extra money?

3. Thoughts on 3rd party lenses? Sigma Tokina are they a big step down from Nikkor, for a hobbiest like me?

Jeff

The 50/1.8 AF-D is an excellent lens (it's the same optical design as my 50/1.8 Series E). It uses Nikon's screwdriver-type AF, which reportedly works very well on short primes. Since you have a D90, I wouldn't bother getting the newer, more-expensive, more-distorting 50/1.4 AF-S.

If you want something closer to a true "standard" lens for the D90, look at the 35mm f/2 or the 28mm f/2.8. These are in Nikon's wide angle category, but they are not wide angle on a crop frame, only on full frame.

Both of those are awesome lenses especially considering the price range they are in .. I've owned both in the past with no complaints. I still have the 1.4 .. great lens.

I love my 50mm 1.8, i will never be able to justify the price of a 1.4. It can however be a bit long for some pictures. As you can see, DOF is really short with this one a 1.8. Makes for outstanding pictures

DSC_0654.jpg

Optically, I have heard they are about the same. The 1.4 gives you that extra stop and some better build quality. Personally, I can't justify the price. The 50mm F1.8 works fine.

As for the 35mm, I think that may be just a little too wide for you. The 50mm hits the spot for portraits, and is similar to an 85mm F1.8 (a renowned portrait lens) on a full frame body.

I think I'll do the 1.8 then. I might look at the 35mm f2 too. But atleast I can use the zoom lens I have to compare the different focal lenghts. Sorry it took so long to reply, didn't get an e-mail. Thanks!!

Jeff

Most reactions

New Topics

Back